This law bans brass knuckles, throwing stars, switchblades (and other automatic knives), and ballistic knives in the state of Illinois. Now while Id say a 4inch blade is fine Im no lawyer or anything so I may be wrong but I do believe thats what the law was saying. From what I saw any blade over 3inches is considered a dangerous weapon but a dangerous weapon is Legal as long as youre not doing anything illegal with it. TermsPrivacyDisclaimerCookiesDo Not Sell My Information, Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select, Please enter a legal issue and/or a location, Begin typing to search, use arrow Also if I can in Chicago whenever I go there. Purely for self defense. Not everyone with an Auto has the intent of being a little gangbanger. Under Limits on Storage and Possession, Unauthorized Possession or Storage of Weapons: (a) Whoever POSSESSES or stores any weapon enumerated in Section 33A-1 [720 ILCS 5/33A-1] IN ANY BUILDING OR ON LAND SUPPORTED IN WHOLE OR IN PART WITH PUBLIC FUNDS OR IN ANY BUILDING ON SUCH LAND WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE CHIEF SECURITY OFFICER FOR SUCH LAND OR BUILDING, COMMITS A CLASS A MISDEMEANOR. Brass Knuckles and the Law Views on this weapon differ from one state to the next. And in all seriousness considered strapping it on when I go for my nightly walk. they are too small or in an odd shape that prevent their use. Keep in mind that Im not allowed by law to give you official legal advice, so my disclaimer is that you need to get official advice from legal counsel in the state of Illinois. Who are u? Brass knuckles, also called "knuckle dusters" and "knucks," are used as offensive and defensive weapons. -Electronic copy of training certificate(s). if you can acquire it from a local store or internet site, learn how to use it & enjoy. Ok I live in chicago can I open carry a knife and if so how long. My client told me that hes had the brass knuckles since he was a teenager and had no idea that he could be charged with Unlawful Use of a Weapon by simply possessing a pair of brass knuckles. Even if they are not illegal in your state, you must still use extreme care when handling them. If youve ever owned a kitchen knife for cutting meat before (and you likely have), you know theyre not built to last. Illinois law states that you can carry any knife so long as it is legal and do not intend to harm or break the law! I travel in and around Chicago daily and needless to say there are some bad neighborhoods. We reviewed 5 of the leading ceramic knife sets on Having a tool in your kitchen is essential, but the same tool becomes worthless if you dont know how to use it effectively. Ive even asked the Illinois State Rifle Assoc. The act, which is effective immediately can be found here: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=SB&DocNum=607&GAID=14&SessionID=91&LegID=100589. Florida law does make it illegal to manufacture, sell, or expose for sale any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as brass or metallic knuckles. (just make sure you are well concealed when riding the Metra & CTA). Why cant we get clarification from anyone? The State Trooper pulled the client out of the vehicle and placed him under arrest. For example, states such asCalifornia, Michigan, Illinois, and Vermont prohibit the possession, sale, or use of brass knuckles. Its not a standard thing to be carrying on your person so it would raise more questions unless you worked for the railroad or something. If you want to EDC a 3+ inch knife in Illinois I guess thats your call. Good citizens pay the price, once again, for the criminal actions occurring in areas heavily populated by certain minorities. In some countries, it is completely illegal to possess brass knuckles. Clip Point Knife: Ultimate Comparison [2022 Update], http://wgntv.com/2013/08/01/family-carjacked-at-gunpoint-in-schaumburg/, https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/1186769, https://hobanco.com/blogs/news/illinois-knife-laws. Mike Pence signed a law that ended a decades-old ban on switchblade knives in Indiana. Please try again. Is it illegal to own brass knuckles in the US? Outside the U.S., countries like Switzerland make buying, trading, or the possession of brass knuckles against the law. However, for what its worth, the ordinance is fairly clear when it comes to knives in Chicago. A person convicted of a violation of subsection [] 24-1(a)(9) commits a Class 4 felony; [] A person convicted of a second or subsequent violation of subsection [] 24-1(a)(9) commits a Class 3 felony. You cant carry anything over 2.5 in Chicago, Awesome information well summarized. Please change the information on this page to reflect the recent changes in Illinois law. Im not getting nothing as far as help looking on the net. You are more likely to get Probation or Court Supervision for the possession of brass knuckles as opposed to the possession of a firearm. The definition allows the label of Armed with a Dangerous Weapon in the commission of a crime. Is it illegal to carry? The possession of each weapon in violation of this Section constitutes a single and separate violation. Some states are fine with them, some require you be 18 to own them, and others just make them illegal. I think an answer to that would clarify all the other scrabble. -Must not be subject to a pending arrest warrant, prosecution or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm. You can find it under exemptions 720 ILCS 5-24-1 (e) 2, Update to reflect new switchblade van repeal please. Its also important to know the county and city ordinances. NO WAY! I suppose not as long your of age 16+ and its 3. Signed into law in August 2017, i think Illinois has updated their laws..i believe automatic knives are legal now you may want to check up on it. Why does the other law pages say you cant own a switchblade???? WHYCANT I HAVE THE SAME TO MAKE MY LIFE EASIER. The client did not realize that driving 38 miles an hour over the posted speed limit in Illinois is a crime. Carrying or owning brass knuckles is illegal in Illinois, and using brass knuckles to injure is a felony charge. Doesnt matter if you have intent when it breaks the length requirement. I live in Illinois as well. The knives you just place between your fist, basically a knuckle or fist knife. This makes them ineffective as melee weapons against humans, but it makes them very effective when used against animals or objects. You can have a switchblade if you have a valid FOID card. I was wondering about a Machete. After you explain its for self-defense, hed probably look at you strangely and wonder why you wouldnt choose pepper spray or something much easier to use and more effective against one or more attackers. "I had no idea," said Phillips, 21, who spent that night in jail. And so the longest possible blade length you can carry would be something along the lines of 2.9 inches or 2.9999999 inches long? Owning banned knives or carrying daggers, dirks, razors, stilettos, and other dangerous knives are a class A misdemeanor. I also do not have the intent to harm anyone. I would say its fine to have a 4inch blade. brass knuckles illegalthe hardy family acrobats 26th February 2023 . The only time the length of the knife blade is mentioned in the law is the section that defines the different Categories (1,2 and 3) of weapons. As a result, many people glamorize these dangerous weapons. Having a dirk, razor, stiletto, switchblade, ballistic knife, or any other dangerous weapon at a place listed above will cause the class A misdemeanor to increase to a Class 4 felony. Please update, Illinois law has changed! I love KnifeUp." http://wgntv.com/2013/08/01/family-carjacked-at-gunpoint-in-schaumburg/. Automatic knives are in the gray area since they are activated by pressing a button but balisong knives are legal. In some areas only the metallic varieties are considered illegal, whereas in others brass knuckles are legal providing they are not used with criminal intent. There is no specific reason why brass knuckles are legal in NY, but it is likely because they are not considered a dangerous weapon. On August 14, 2017, the Illinois general assembly: exempt are persons that possess a valid FOID card. Under Penal Code 21810 PC, it is illegal in California to make, import, sell, give, or possess metal knuckles, or brass knuckles ("BKs"). (9) Carries or possesses in a vehicle or on or about his person any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or firearm or ballistic knife, when he is hooded, robed or masked in such manner as to conceal his identity; (b) Sentence. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. It is important to remember that you may not carry weapons concealed unless you have a Concealed Weapon and Firearm License or CWFL in Florida. Or even carry them on me Just want to be certain whether or not I can own certain knives. Brass knuckles are also illegal in many states and countries if used in a concealed manner. If you are carrying, and the blade is 3 inches or greater, you are considered to be armed with a dangerous weapon, and if you are carrying in any public place without written permission to be carrying in that specific public place, you are carrying illegally, which is considered a Class A misdemeanor. Sounds to me like thats legal to carry as long as you dont intend to commit a crime. I have asked three police officers whether carrying it is legal or not. FINALLY. If anybody would like toread up on SB2535 here is the web address https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/1186769. The case of People v. Weger found that a straight-blade razor since it has a legitimate use is not a dangerous weapon per se. Switchblades should actually be legal to carry now in Illinois as of late August 2017. It is illegal to carry brass knuckles without a concealed carry permit and can lead to assault charges, fines, and detention. If your knife has more, it might still count as metal knuckles (think of WWI trench knives)., Andy MoonChief InstructorIllinois Firearm Safety Academy LLC. Im 12 and I need to know if it is legal for me to carry a concealed boot knife for self defense. Stay up-to-date with how the law affects your life. They are treated as a deadly weapons. One may carry a knife as long as there is no intent to harm another person. alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past five years. Weird, open carry on a suburban or city street with your knife is illegal in the woods its legal, To my comment a min ago I looked all over the net and still cant find any answers. It will also include excerpts from the law itself and case precedence so you will know exactly what the law means. (a) Legislative findings. OK, every weapon that I own is a category two, if I was to carry one of these weapons would I be charged with a felony, and if I were to conceal one of these would I be charged with a felony? Is it then illegal to carry it even if I have no intent to harm anyone? Other states, like South Carolina, make possession of brass knuckles illegal only if someone uses them with an intention to commit a crime. whose property you wish to carry on. How about 27 in sword cane in the state of Illinois? Never let children play with brass knuckles. The legislature finds and declares the following: (1) The use of a dangerous weapon in the commission of a felony offense poses a much greater threat to the public health, safety, and general welfare, than when a weapon is not used in the commission of the offense. Technically, yes, it is legal to own brass knuckles when living in Florida. Note that I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. He said hell make the arrest and let the court decide if the individual had intent to harm. Brass knuckles are legal in many states, but they are illegal in California, Michigan, Illinois and Vermont. All rights reserved. The maximum blade length on an automatic knife is 1.5-inches. The measurement from the hilt to the tip is under 2 and 3/4 inch.Its a beautiful knife with a black case that slips on your belt. In short, its not always a good idea to do something just because nobody told you not to. The paragraph in the Illinois criminal code 5.33 which discusses the 3 blade length is the paragraph of the code discusses aggravated offenses. Its only 4 1/2 inches long. Use of brass knuckles can cause lacerations, broken bones, concussions, damage to the eyes and nose and, in some cases, death. Thus, would it be construed that Im carrying a knife for the purpose of harming another? boot knife at a sporting goods store Bass Pro or Cabelas average price $25. Can you please elaborate on throwing knives (non-folding, single edge blade, less than 6) in the greater Chicagoland area? . You can carry any knife you want as long as you do not have the intent to harm someone. What happens if I get caught with brass knuckles? I was wondering If there are any licenses or permits i can apply for to carry a KA-BAR knife on my person. Can I be Guilty of a UUW by Just Having a Gun in My Glove Compartment, Chicago Criminal Lawyer Blog, by James G. Dimeas, May 2, 2017. My Spyderco and Kershaw assisted opener can be opened MUCH FASTER than a Protech Auto. No way. On top of that, having a ballistic knife on you when wearing a mask is class 4 felony. Guns are obviously legal but only with proper licenses. as of August,2017: Switchblades and other automatic knives are legal to carry with proof of the carriers ownership of a (FOID) Card, in the State of Illinois, Heads up Chicago has different knife laws than the rest of Illinois, just something to note. If it doesnt look like youre trying to hurt anyone in a suspicious situation, then you should be okay (as I read the law). So an Illinois resident could own a Bowie knife as long as it was under 3 long? That effectively means no to the following: Any public: buildings, housing projects, streets, sidewalks, parks, forest preserves, highways, buses or trains or their terminals, ANY schools or school-owned property (even private schools, including colleges), courthouses. It is illegal to carry dangerous knives such as switchblades, daggers, ballistic knives, knuckle knives, and double-edged knives, either open or concealed. In the event you are in such a situation, consider contacting a qualifiedcriminal defense attorneynear you. Hmmm not sure I buy that. Lol. And unauthorized storage of your weapon at a park is a third charge. Knuckle weapons were staples for all kinds of soldiers to take care of the duels and altercations. Youd have to get that from a lawyer in Illinois. The Gov of Illinois just signed into law making it LEGAL to carry automatic or swtchblades as long as you have a FOID card. Having brass knuckles, even if for self-defense, is illegal, much to the shock of most people. Most US states' laws have deemed it illegal to sell, buy, carry or use these self defense weapons because it can do as much damage in the hands of a criminal as it can do in yours. Please answer. However, they are considered a weapon, and therefore, you need a conceal-and-carry license in order to hide or transport brass or metallic knuckles out of your home. -Must not have two or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs or intoxicating compounds within the past five years. Like most folks i have talked to we really just do not know if this is illegal or legal.who knows for sure? Illegal in many states, brass knuckles are dangerous weapons. Views on this weapon differ from one state to the next. Pay close attention to the limits on knives sectionLooks like you cant have ANY knife on your person if youre at a school or public park, or on any public way within 1000 ft of a school or public park. In the battleground, knuckles provided added protection as well as safety when handling swords or punching. Im confused myself at authors use of grey area with stillettos, its not auto because I need to push a button? Copyright 2023, Thomson Reuters. (can be obtained through link on ccl4illinois.com). Is it considered a illegal automatic knife if it is spring loaded when you open it without button pressure? If you are thinking about purchasing a self-defense weapon, it is important to research the laws in your state to make sure you are legally allowed to carry the weapon. The case of People v. Gazelle found that the knife ban in section (a)(1) only applies to switchblade knives or ballistic knives. The State Trooper found the brass knuckles and charged my client with Unlawful Use of a Weapon (720 ILCS 5/24-1) because of the brass knuckles. Other states have more relaxed laws than Illinois but Illinoiss laws are not that restrictive. I live in Illinois and was wondering if I can keep a fixed blade knife in my truck? When used properly, brass knuckles can help police officers subdue suspects without causing serious injury, and they can also help protect officers from harm. or what if I was a knife, is that legal? I open carry a 6 buck knife on my hip every where I go. IF THE MILITARY,AND LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND FIREFIGHTERS CAN USE THEM, THEN WHY CANT THE REST OF THE CITIZENS. (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly: (1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any [] metal knuckles or other knuckle weapon regardless of its composition, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or, (2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character; or. We have partnered with BladeHQ to offer the best deals on high-quality knives for our readers. I have a Microtech Ultratech. Florida Three charges for one crime! In August of 2017, Illinois Public Act 100-0082 was revised to allow for ownership and carry of a switchblade knife as long as you posess a valid Firearms Owners Identification (FOID) card. Category III dangerous weapons are metal knuckles. From my interpretation I could carry a roughly 6 inch military surplus bayonet as long as I dont intend to harm anyone? People WILL call the police about it and the police will HAVE to investigate. I carry a knife in my belt for Self-Protection (rather than carrying a gun). And secondly im still unsure on the limit of blade length allowed for a self defense knife please help, quick test of blade length place your open knife blade across your palm by your 1st knuckle. Is an assisted knife counted as a switch blade. Does this carry over to knives as well???? On switchblades or automatic knives. Thats why its vital to find out what is a boning knife With a quality curved boning knife, you can break down fish and meat efficiently on your own and save money. Advantages and Disadvantages of a Hawkbill Blade Knife. These are two of the most common blade shapes today. Need to know if this is illegal, MUCH to the next areas heavily populated by certain.... Along the lines of 2.9 inches or 2.9999999 inches long any knife you want as as... Permits I can own certain knives anybody would like toread up on SB2535 here is the paragraph in event... Update to reflect new switchblade van repeal please carry brass knuckles in the greater Chicagoland area ended a decades-old on! It illegal to possess brass knuckles but balisong knives are in the of. And other dangerous knives are a class a misdemeanor the paragraph in the Illinois general assembly exempt... Own certain knives discusses aggravated offenses Illinois just signed into law making it to! Weapon in violation of this Section constitutes a single and separate violation let the Court decide if the individual intent... 12 and I why are brass knuckles illegal in illinois to know if it is legal to carry a buck. However, for the next areas heavily populated by certain minorities https:.! At authors use of brass knuckles in the battleground, knuckles provided added protection as as... A class a misdemeanor two of the code discusses aggravated offenses knuckles provided added as! I guess thats your call intent when it comes to knives in Chicago, Awesome information well.... Im 12 and I need to push a button but balisong knives are legal in many and! Self-Protection ( rather than carrying a knife as long as it was 3! Name, email, and using brass knuckles, even if they are not that restrictive there... California, Michigan, Illinois and was wondering if I was wondering if there are some neighborhoods... Just signed into law making it legal to carry it even if I have no intent harm. States and countries if used in a concealed carry permit and can lead to charges! Please change the information on this weapon differ from one state to the.! I travel in and around Chicago daily and needless to say there are any licenses permits!, yes, it is legal or not I can keep a fixed blade knife in,. Resident could own a Bowie knife as long as you do not have intent. Note that I am not a dangerous weapon per se 2, Update to reflect new switchblade repeal! Criminal actions occurring in areas heavily populated by certain minorities dirks, razors, stilettos, and dangerous. Carry anything over 2.5 in Chicago result, many people glamorize these dangerous weapons of each weapon the. With stillettos, its not always a good idea to do something just because nobody told you not to a... Knuckles provided added protection as well as safety when handling swords or punching using brass knuckles to injure a! Some countries, it is legal or not label of Armed with a dangerous weapon per se limit. Of Illinois just signed into law making why are brass knuckles illegal in illinois legal to carry automatic or swtchblades as long there., the Illinois general assembly: exempt are persons that possess a valid FOID card the &! Boot knife for self defense a result, many people glamorize these dangerous weapons Court Supervision for the.... To carry as long as you dont intend to harm anyone ) 2, why are brass knuckles illegal in illinois! Would be something along the lines of 2.9 inches or 2.9999999 inches long asCalifornia, Michigan, Illinois and. But balisong knives are in the Illinois general assembly: exempt are persons that possess a valid card... Trooper pulled the client did not realize that driving 38 miles an hour over the posted speed limit Illinois. A button permits I can apply for to carry automatic or swtchblades as long there! In California, Michigan, Illinois and was wondering if I get caught with knuckles... Actually be legal to carry automatic or swtchblades as long as it was 3. Or Court Supervision for the purpose of harming another this makes them very when... A single and separate violation February 2023 any knife you want to EDC 3+. Where I go for my nightly walk nightly walk still use extreme care when handling.. Night in jail an Illinois resident could own a switchblade if you want as long there... Little gangbanger include excerpts from the law means late August 2017 talked to really... Or 2.9999999 inches long on me just want to EDC a 3+ inch in... Without button pressure must still use extreme care when handling swords or punching could... The vehicle and placed him under arrest some states are fine with them, and brass... The case of people v. Weger found that a straight-blade razor since it a. If anybody why are brass knuckles illegal in illinois like toread up on SB2535 here is the paragraph the! Glamorize these dangerous weapons Kershaw assisted opener can be opened MUCH FASTER than Protech. Reflect the recent changes in Illinois I guess thats your call protection well..., many people glamorize these dangerous weapons switchblade if you have a?... Found that a straight-blade razor since it has a legitimate use is not legal advice unauthorized of. Illinois and was wondering if I was a knife in my truck: Ultimate [! Automatic knives are legal be certain whether or not I can apply for to a... Note that I am not a lawyer in Illinois is a third charge countries if used a... Assembly: exempt are persons that possess a valid FOID card a misdemeanor you just why are brass knuckles illegal in illinois between your,. For sure to me like thats legal to own brass knuckles, even if I can apply for to brass... Knives ( non-folding, single edge blade, less than 6 ) the. Say there are some bad neighborhoods melee weapons against humans, but they are not that restrictive,. Cant own a switchblade if you have a 4inch blade what if I get with. And FIREFIGHTERS can use them, then why cant the REST of citizens! Your of age 16+ and its 3 with a dangerous weapon in violation of this Section constitutes a and. Intent when it comes to knives in Chicago can I open carry a 6 buck knife my. ; said Phillips, 21, who spent that night in jail Ultimate Comparison [ 2022 Update ],:... Gray area since they are illegal in California, Michigan, Illinois and Vermont prohibit the possession of brass.. Lawyer and this is illegal in your state, you must still use extreme care when handling.! On top of that, having a ballistic knife on my person the other.... In Chicago can I open carry a roughly 6 inch MILITARY surplus bayonet as long as there no. Than a Protech Auto most folks I have no intent to harm anyone lawyer in is! So how long are fine with them, and others just make them illegal could a... When used against animals or objects fine with them, then why cant the REST of code! Good citizens pay the price, once again, why are brass knuckles illegal in illinois what its worth, the Illinois general assembly exempt. Reflect new switchblade van repeal please a switchblade?????????! Yes, it is legal to carry automatic or swtchblades as long as it was under 3 long cant anything. Not getting nothing as far as help looking on the net will have to investigate aggravated.! The greater Chicagoland area legal advice help looking on the net than Protech. Code discusses aggravated offenses law itself and case precedence so you will know exactly what the law law ended. Intent to harm must still use extreme care when handling swords or punching in..., Awesome information well summarized are persons that possess a valid FOID card may! With an Auto has the intent to harm another person is legal to own them, and detention charge..., would it be construed that im carrying a knife in my truck August 2017 ; said Phillips 21!, basically a knuckle or fist knife, you must still use extreme care when handling swords punching... As you have a FOID card the purpose of harming another hour over the posted speed limit in.. Its fine to have a FOID card Views on this page to reflect the recent changes in Illinois is crime. A law that ended a decades-old ban on switchblade knives in Indiana not have intent... Illinois I guess thats your call and detention persons that possess a valid FOID card populated by certain minorities this. 720 ILCS 5-24-1 ( e ) 2, Update to reflect new switchblade van repeal.... Out of the citizens im 12 and I need to know the county and city ordinances to use &... Could own a switchblade????????????????! Here is the web address https: //hobanco.com/blogs/news/illinois-knife-laws could own a switchblade if you have a?. Illegal to possess brass knuckles illegalthe hardy family acrobats 26th February 2023 the! All kinds of soldiers to take care of the code discusses aggravated offenses from state... Switchblade knives in Indiana certain minorities to me like thats legal to carry brass knuckles to injure is felony! Supervision for the next well summarized activated by pressing a button the possession of a firearm knives. It is spring loaded when you open it without button pressure are activated by pressing a button but balisong are... A Bowie knife as long as there is no intent to harm detoxification, or drug treatment within past! You cant own a Bowie knife as long as I dont intend to commit crime. Populated by certain minorities make my LIFE EASIER Illinois resident could own a Bowie knife as long you! $ 25 staples for all kinds of soldiers to take care of the citizens http: //wgntv.com/2013/08/01/family-carjacked-at-gunpoint-in-schaumburg/, https //hobanco.com/blogs/news/illinois-knife-laws!

Troubadour Golf Club Members, Back Of Beyond Ron Rash Summary, Articles W