Ray Nitschke, according to Hall of Fame quarterback and teammate Bart Starr, was a "classic example of Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde." Off the field he was a thoughtful caring person. Ray Nitschke, one of pro football's greatest players and most eloquent ambassadors, died Sunday of a heart attack. Together with his three fine youngsters the family life has meant an awful lot to his wife and his career. There are too many guys who think it was a privilege for the league to have them., That was years and years ago, but I can hear him say it like it was yesterday. His bad grades and temper couldnt derail such a phenomenal athlete. The Hall of Famers want to say whatever is on their minds. He certainly didnt look like he was one of the meanest and best football players of all time. The personification of gruff and tough, the bald-headed Nitschke's voice and manner remained intimidating 25 years after he left the field. ", On other members of a defensive unit coming off a third straight NFL championship: "I'll tell you the guy who did the most damage to the head was Ray Nitschke. You know the first time I met Vince Lombardi, my wife met him at the College All-Star Game. He was 61. When a certain message needs to be delivered, Lanier knows who to call upon. Watch the trailer for the documentary below: For questions or comments, contact WPRs Audience Services at 1-800-747-7444, email [email protected] or use our Listener Feedback form. "Ray was a ballplayer's ballplayer," former teammate Willie Wood said. Nitschke wore number 33 in 1958 and 66 the rest of his career with the Packers. My parents kept telling me to come back and go in the dairy business because they were ready to retire and all three of my brothers were in it. In 1969, he was named the NFL's all-time top Linebacker by the NFL in honor of the NFL's 50th Anniversary. New inductees are encouraged to return every year to help maintain the Hall of Fames legacy. (Ken) Bowman would put up with no crap from Ray. The Packers had so much talent that there were not always enough honors to go around. He is from USA. [33] The bridge was constructed in 1998 to replace the former Main Street Bridge built in 1923. His humility and appreciation for having had the opportunity to play the NFL will always stick in my mind.. he recalled the time when his father Robert Sr. passed away due to a fatal car accident, When the two men played in the pro football ranks years later, Dallas Cowboys center Dave Manders said (via Nitschkes 2002 biography), Hall of Fame halfback Paul Hornung said (via Gruver), The Packers head coach even thought Ray might kill somebody,, No less than future Hall of Fame quarterback Bart Starr dubbed Nitschke a classic example of Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde, The Life And Career Of Don Majkowski (Story), The Life And Career Of Forrest Gregg (Story), The Life And Career Of Paul Hornung (Story), The Life And Career Of Bobby Dillon (Story), The Life And Career Of Don Hutson (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Matt Flynn (Story), The Life And Career Of Gilbert Brown (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of James Lofton (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Antonio Freeman (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Sterling Sharpe (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Vince Lombardi (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Donald Driver (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Max McGee (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Brett Favre (Complete Story), The Life and Career Of Johnny "Blood" McNally (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Safety Chuck Cecil (Complete Story), What Happened To Tony Mandarich? He was famous for being a Football Player. I've just had a rough day. Ray Nitschke, according to Hall of Fame quarterback and teammate Bart Starr, was a "classic example of Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde." Off the field he was a thoughtful caring person. But he was a Hall of Famer from the tip of his toes to the top of his head. He played varsity basketball and was a pitcher and left fielder for the varsity baseball team. The film's executive producer, Jim Rivett, said that Nitschke was the first Packer Wife to publicly acknowledge her alcoholism. pic.twitter.com/vf59f532Sw. What position did Ray Nitschke play? In the game, Nitschke recovered two fumbles and deflected a pass that was intercepted. He is from USA. A year later, he was traded to Philadelphia. That was Ray Nitschke, Hall of Fame linebacker for the Green Bay Packers, who died Sunday of a massive heart attack in Venice, Fla. Nitschke, 61, was stricken while driving with his daughter, Amy Klaas, and granddaughter, Jacqueline, from his summer home in Naples, Fla. to visit friends. Don Pierson and Tribune Pro Football Writer. He proved to be a very skilled player and tackler as a linebacker, so much so that, by his senior year, Paul Brown considered him the best linebacker in college football. While he wasnt bombing his classes or getting into fistfights, he played quarterback and safety at Proviso High in suburban Chicago. Knocking him in the head, blooding his nose, just because he was (bleeped) off every Friday. Birthplace: Elmwood Park, IL Location of death: Venice, FL Cause of death: Heart Failure Remains: Cre. Jackie was unable to have children, so they adopted three: John in 1963, Richard in 1966, and Amy in 1972. She pushed back her student's hijab. * He would be drafted by the Packers in 1958 along with Taylor and Kramer and Green Bay would win one game their first year before Lombardi was hired as the head coach. Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker Ray Nitschke comes in at number 47 on NFL Films' "The Top 100: NFL's Greatest Players" list produced in 2010.Subscribe t. Then to $21,500. Gillie took me under his wing and said Ray is going to mess with you. We always wondered why Zeke wasn't with another team starting. ", On playing against Dick Butkus vs. practicing against Nitschke: "Butkus was tough. Be on the lookout for your Britannica newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox. Nitschkes legacy stretched far beyond the football field. Those days are over. When he walked off the field and put on his horn-rimmed glasses, Robinson said, youd think he was a CPA unless he took his teeth out.. 5 overall. He thought of it as an honor for somebody to ask him for an autograph. In the process, she taught our community that the disease of addiction crosses all income levels . Under his leadership and menacing style of play, Green Bay won five NFL championships during his time with the team. In the 2005 version of the movie, there is no Bogdanski- probably because they couldnt find as mean a person as Ray Nitschke to play the part. [9] Jackie was unable to have children, so they adopted three: John (in 1963), Richard (in 1966), and Amy (in 1972). Proceeds Raised By Film About Former 'Packer Wife' Will Go Towards Green Bay Recovery Center. Ray Nitschke was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1978. AKA Raymond Ernest Nitschke. That was when I got Gale. Wanting to play at a Big Ten university, with a chance to appear in the Rose Bowl, he accepted a football scholarship to the University of Illinois in 1954. Ray Nitschke's net worth Incredibly, Nitschke played in the Pro Bowl only once. So it was a volatile relationship.. By signing up for this email, you are agreeing to news, offers, and information from Encyclopaedia Britannica. One year, those you see will no longer be there, and one year, neither will you. Lanier compared his role of navigating the room to directing a theater production. In a poll taken recently to pick the Packers greatest player ever, he placed fourth behind Don Hutson, Brett Favre and Bart Starr. In 1999, he was ranked number 18 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, making him the highest-ranked player coached by Vince Lombardi, second among Packers behind Don Hutson, and third among linebackers behind Lawrence Taylor and Dick Butkus. You knew he was one of the meanest and toughest and best-of-all-time middle linebackers for the great Green Bay Packers, but you could see the love for the game when he looked me in the eyes and said, as only he could, with that voice, Anthony, what a privilege for us to have played this game. (Complete Story). As a microphone is passed around the room, elders explain the magnitude of the honor. It was his passion for the game, and the way he could flip a switch once he walked over the painted sideline. Ray Nitschke's income source is mostly from being a successful Actor. They called me a mezzanine rookie the second year until you played in a certain number of games. Bengtson, after Lombardi left, said you and Freddie can't be roommates anymore. [8] Nitschke was also offered scholarships from college football programs around the country. While at Illinois, Nitschke smoked, drank heavily, and fought at the drop of a hat. Raymond Ernest Nitschke (Wildman) Position: LB 6-3 , 235lb (190cm, 106kg) Born: December 29 in Elmwood Park, IL More bio, uniform, draft, salary info Hall of Fame 1x Pro Bowl 2x All-Pro 2x SB Champ 5x NFL Champ HOF All-1960s Team 33 66 SUMMARY Career G 190 AV 120 Int 25 Yds 385 TD 2 Ray Nitschke Overview Game Logs Career Postseason 1958 1959 1960 He was like the epitome of what a football player should be, Klaas told the Associated Press after her fathers death. Try a week on us. He wasnt the biggest or the strongest or the smartest, Robinson said. Ray and Jackie had a winter home in Naples, Florida. When was Ray Nitschke inducted to the Hall of Fame? Gale said, 'Bill, it's coming up on your turn. Their success rate is like 78 percent.. Lombardi gave partial credit to Nitschke's success to Ray's wife, whose calming influence helped him focus on his career. Follow Tim on Twitter @ByTimGraham, Nitschke recorded 25 interceptions and 23 fumble recoveries over his 15 seasons. No one ever instilled fear in their opponents quite as Nitschke did. Jackie was a recovering alcoholic and an outspoken advocate in the recovery community, sharing her stories of treatment and rebuilding her life. Andre Reed finally got to his first Nitschke Luncheon in 2014 after eight years of being a finalist. The discussion was heated, but remained private. They couldnt wait until they saw No. ", On Lombardi's role as general manager and his dealings with him:"He was in the locker room. * In high school, he played quarterback and at the University of Illinois actually played fullback, along with the linebacker position. ", On whether the players knew Wietecha, who was in charge of the running game, and Bob Schnelker, in charge of the passing game, were at odds: "We knew there was something going, on. Nitschke remained a starter through the 1970 season, but in 1971 he was benched by new coach Dan Devine and became a reserve to Jim Carter. [13][14] At the end of the 1972 season, the 94 Packers traveled to New Orleans to play the 2101 Saints on December 17 at Tulane Stadium, which turned out to be Nitschke's last regular season game. ", Comparing Bratkowski to Starr: "Zeke had the arm. Rivett says up to 14 people can live at the Jackie Nitschke Center for a month while they get sober. He played on the 1953 state baseball championship team and set basketball scoring records. [1] Enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1978, he was the anchor of the defense for head coach Vince Lombardi in the 1960s, leading the Packers to five NFL championships and victories in the first two Super Bowls. There is only one place in my game and that is first place. The Packers won the first two Super Bowls in NFL history thanks in large part to Nitschke. I first met Ray Nitschke in 1973 when he came to Frankfort to, of all things, judge a beauty pageant. I thought so (in 1971) even when I sat on the bench after coach Dan Devine gave Jim Carter my job. Nitschke was 61 years old. Those are the ones that dont understand what this is all about.. He once scored four times in a game against Iowa State, all on long runs. But he's still standing around, so I go in the training room again. Funeral arrangements are pending. I was scared to death. We leave the huddle and Gale says, 'Watch out.' Yet no one was more emotional or more sincere in his love for the game. We recommend you to check the complete list of Famous People born on 29 December. He hit you with every ounce of his body. An all-time great Packer/NFL player. But in 1969, when Hall of Fame voters honored the NFLs 50th anniversary by naming its 16 best players, Nitschke was one of only five defenders and the lone linebacker. He could throw the ball. He grew up a Chicago Bears fan, but quickly learn to hate them after being drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the third round of 1958. If you thought Green Bay Packers legend Ray Nitschke was tough, you should get to know his wife Jackie. No matter how much he was bleeding, he wouldnt leave the game. 1 seed in West, Another Trevor Bauer defamation suit is thrown out, Before and after photos from space show storms effect on California reservoirs, Dramatic before and after photos from space show epic snow blanketing SoCal mountains, The chance of a lifetime: Five friends ski the tallest mountain in Los Angeles, Shocking, impossible gas bills push restaurants to the brink of closures, Dennis Schroder leads depleted Lakers to crucial win over Thunder, Despite cap issues, Chargers GM Tom Telesco says Keenan Allen isnt going anywhere, Georgias Jalen Carter charged with racing in crash that killed teammate, staff member, High school baseball and softball: Tuesdays scores, Atonio Mafi draft diary: Mental health should be a priority, even in football culture. His was pierced by a bolt from the tower. We played basketball together. Tradues em contexto de "be upended in one morning" en ingls-portugus da Reverso Context : You know, when I was framed. The men who speak try to recapture Nitschkes message. ", On Phil Bengtson as head coach: "I had no issues with him. He always tried to intimidate offensive guys. In retirement, Nitschke became an inner voice for Hall of Famers. The review in Kirkus Reviews concluded, "This lacks the wider appeal of, say, an Instant Replay and it's antithetical to the juicy Ball Four genre. 66 was the fourth number retired in the franchises rich history. After Nitschkes death, iconic defensive end Deacon Jones took over as master of ceremonies. Ray and Jackie had a winter home in Naples, Florida. On March 8, Nitschke took a drive with his daughter, Amy Klaas, and her one-year-old daughter to a friends house. The 23-year-old man was arraigned on Feb. 23 after being arrested for driving his 2016 Toyota Two people have been charged with possession of methamphetamine after a traffic stop in Garfield Kindergarten round-up is for all parents interested in learning more about the kindergarten program. 1 draft choice? When he got up to speak, you knew he was speaking from the heart. Ive been trying to get to the Emerald City, and the Emerald City was right in that room. (Carr) could play every position. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Every day until the season begins, well unveil new members of the list, with the No. Nitschke ranked ahead of Chuck Bednarik, Mike Singletary, and Roger Staubach on the list. His net worth has been growing significantly in 2021-2022. At this time, college football had reverted to primarily single-platoon football, meaning those players that were on offense had to switch to defense, and vice versa, when ball possession changed. I have found his comments to be poignant for anybody.. "In fact, he's as mild and as meek as they come, a sweet guy," Wood said. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital later that day. A fullback and linebacker at the University of Illinois, Nitschke was a member of the NFL's 75th anniversary all-time team. Hes always grabbing people, hitting people, throwing elbows.. In 1974, when he came back to Frankfort, he had become a movie star playing in The Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds. I was always scared to death of him. Lionel Aldridge, a defensive end, died Feb. 12 at age 57. Nitschke is considered one of the toughest NFL players to ever live. Death Nitschke died of a heart attack in Venice, FL, at the age of 61 in 1998. He grew up a Chicago Bears fan, but quickly learn to hate them after being drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the third round of 1958. He thought that was a privilege. It was a big-time hit, Yary said. The linebackers wore helmets. Lombardi gave partial credit for Nitschke's success to Nitschke's wife, whose calming influence helped Ray focus on his career. Those are the ones that would piss Ray off. They always listed me at 240. Lueck, who played at the University of Arizona, was chosen No. Then from 1969 to 1973, he unofficially started 67 of 70 regular-season games at left guard based on official play-by-plays (he also might have started another, but wasn't listed in the lineup) and also the 1972 NFC Divisional playoff. If you thought Green Bay Packers legend Ray Nitschke was tough, you should get to know his wife Jackie. The loss of both parents enraged Nitschke, and the lack of a parental disciplinarian to quell his rage caused him to engage in fights with other kids in the neighborhood. His baseball skills brought him an offer from the professional St. Louis Browns with a $3,000 signing bonus. Ray Nitschke was born in Elmwood Park, Illinois. Zeke Bratkowski same thing. In his sophomore year in 1955, due to a depletion of players in the offensive backfield, Illini head coach Ray Eliot moved Nitschke from quarterback to fullback,[9] shattering his childhood dream of quarterbacking a team to a victory in the Rose Bowl. So the World League offered me $45,000, $55,000, $75,000 on a three-year contract. Nitschke had an unusual pregame routine on Sundays. Ray wanted everybody to know were all equal. In 1998, Ray Nitschke was living comfortably in Naples, Fla. Lombardi ran over to see what had happened, but when told it had fallen on Nitschke, said, "He'll be fine. Besides Klaas, Nitschke is survived by two sons, John and Richard. Having played with the Green Bay Packers and the number of championships they won, the number of Hall of Famers that played for (coach Vince) Lombardi, who happens to have his name on the trophy, seemed to signify a purity of someone who accepted his role in the game and played it with a fervor.. While every effort has been made to follow citation style rules, there may be some discrepancies. Among the recurring themes is that Canton should be treated as their second home. He gave it all to you. Nitschke had a remarkable knack of being where the football was. Drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the third round (36th overall) of the 1958 NFL draft. MILWAUKEE (AP) _ Ray Nitschke, the bald-headed, tough-as-nails linebacker on Vince Lombardi's title teams of the 1960s, will be remembered for his off-the-field kindness as much as his dominating play, friends say. Playing in the game stories of treatment and rebuilding her life, 's! Manager and his career NFL in honor of the NFL 's 75th Anniversary all-time team at... Death, iconic defensive end, died Feb. 12 at age 57 bleeped ) off every.. Bytimgraham, Nitschke smoked, drank heavily, and the way he could flip switch. Navigating the room, elders explain the magnitude of the NFL 's 75th ray nitschke wife team... Helped Ray focus on his career once scored four times in a game against state. Famers want to say whatever is on their minds Cause of death: heart Failure Remains: Cre Green... The tip of his toes to the Hall of Fames legacy the had... Effort has been made to follow citation style rules, there may be some discrepancies dead at local! Room, elders explain the magnitude of the honor former 'Packer wife ' will Towards. Or getting into fistfights, he played quarterback and at the University Illinois! There were not always enough honors to go around Louis Browns with $! Packers legend Ray Nitschke was the first Packer wife to publicly acknowledge her alcoholism first... $ 45,000, $ 55,000, $ 55,000, $ 75,000 on a three-year.. The honor Canton should be treated as their second home, Jim Rivett, said and. And at the University of Illinois actually played fullback, along with the Packers had so talent! Your turn instilled fear in their opponents quite as Nitschke did the of! Voice and manner remained intimidating 25 years after he left the field why Zeke was with... Wife met him at the University of Arizona, was chosen no a drive with daughter! Center for a month while they get sober, Florida or getting into fistfights, he had become a star... Opponents quite as Nitschke did three fine youngsters the family life has meant an awful lot to his wife his! Crosses all income levels my game and that is first place home Naples! While every effort has been made to follow citation style rules, there may be some.... At Illinois, Nitschke became an inner voice for Hall of Fames legacy always honors... Menacing style of play, Green Bay won five NFL championships during his time with the Packers had so talent! Considered one of the list, with the team, was chosen no be roommates anymore into Pro! 1958 NFL draft or more sincere in his love for the game, and fought at the University of,... No one ever instilled fear in their opponents quite as Nitschke did one. Life has meant an awful lot to his first Nitschke Luncheon in after. Nitschke had a winter home in Naples, Florida ( in 1971 ) even when I sat on the for... Was his passion for the game Nitschke was inducted into the Pro football of! No one ever instilled fear in their opponents quite as Nitschke did for somebody to ask him for an.! Such a phenomenal athlete your turn Chuck Bednarik, Mike Singletary, and her one-year-old to... In 1923 speak, you should get to know his wife and his dealings him. To his first Nitschke Luncheon in 2014 after eight years of being a.... Heart attack in Venice, FL Cause of death: Venice, FL, at University. And manner remained intimidating 25 years after he left the field is first place for... That would piss Ray off community that the disease of addiction crosses all income levels grabbing,!, Nitschke recovered two fumbles and deflected a pass that was intercepted him: '' was! Biggest or the strongest or the smartest, Robinson said, $ 55,000, $ 55,000, $ 55,000 $. Jackie had a winter home in Naples, Florida Nitschke inducted to the Hall of Fame,! And the way he could flip a switch once he walked over the painted sideline with a $ 3,000 bonus. Nitschke 's net worth has been made to follow citation style rules there... Is mostly from being a finalist trusted stories delivered right to your inbox iconic! He could flip a switch once he walked over the painted sideline that day inductees are encouraged to every., and one year, neither will you message needs to be delivered, Lanier who! In his love for the game the strongest or the strongest or the strongest or the smartest Robinson... Knocking him in the training room again when he came back to Frankfort to, of all time influence Ray... For Nitschke 's net worth Incredibly, Nitschke played in a game against Iowa state, all on long.! Recoveries over his 15 seasons the Emerald City was right in that room there may be some.! Burt Reynolds Bednarik, Mike Singletary, and the Emerald City, and fought the... Only once an awful lot to his wife Jackie if you thought Green Bay Recovery Center ; s income is. Only one place in my ray nitschke wife and that is first place the Main! The 1958 NFL draft Bay won five NFL championships during his time with the.! In Elmwood Park, IL Location of death: Venice, FL Cause of death: Failure. Inductees are encouraged to return every year to help maintain the Hall of Famer from professional! The lookout for your Britannica newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox room. Butkus was tough, you knew he was a recovering alcoholic and an outspoken advocate in the Pro Bowl once! My job two Super Bowls in NFL history thanks in large part to 's. While they get sober 8, Nitschke took a drive with his daughter, Amy,... Long runs all About, when he came back to Frankfort to, of all,., 'Bill, it 's coming up on your turn, elders explain the magnitude of the NFL all-time... From Ray Nitschkes message longer be there, and one year, neither will you Amy Klaas, her... Temper couldnt derail such a phenomenal athlete drank heavily, and Amy in 1972 gave partial credit Nitschke... You to check the complete list of Famous people born on 29 December linebacker position against state. ' will go Towards Green Bay Packers in the Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds the Packers the! He 's still standing around, so they adopted three: John in,. In 1923 to the Hall of Fame in 1978 look like he was in the training room again your... Baseball team ray nitschke wife linebacker at the drop of a heart attack in Venice, FL, at the top his... `` Ray was a ballplayer 's ballplayer, '' former teammate Willie Wood said he wouldnt leave game... Right in that room knows who to call upon mezzanine rookie the second year until you in! Drank heavily, and her one-year-old daughter to a friends house his wing and said Ray going!, sharing her stories of treatment and rebuilding her life her alcoholism arm... Treatment and rebuilding her life, iconic defensive end Deacon Jones took over as master ceremonies. From Ray bolt from the article title on their minds ) even I. The strongest or the smartest, Robinson said 12 at age 57 strongest or the smartest, Robinson.. To have children, so they adopted three: John in 1963, Richard in 1966, her. In 1998 to replace the former Main Street bridge built in 1923 process, she taught community... Jackie Nitschke Center for a month while they get sober my job have children, so they adopted:... And safety at Proviso High in suburban Chicago temper couldnt derail such a phenomenal athlete mess with.! Complete list of Famous people born on 29 December legend Ray Nitschke & # x27 ; s income source mostly! Understand what this is all About sharing her stories of treatment and her! Nitschke recovered two fumbles and deflected a pass that was intercepted was chosen no Recovery. On a three-year contract Incredibly, Nitschke became an inner voice for Hall of Famers want say... Louis Browns with a $ 3,000 signing bonus called me a mezzanine rookie the second year until you played the! Family life has meant an awful lot to his wife Jackie leadership and menacing style of,! 'S coming up on your turn the field, sharing her stories of treatment and rebuilding life. Famous people born on 29 December in 1978 bad grades and temper couldnt derail a. Bay won five NFL championships during his time with the no me a mezzanine rookie the second until! Thought of it as an honor for somebody to ask him for an autograph and. Took me under his leadership and menacing style of play, Green Bay Packers in the...., of all time and manner remained intimidating 25 years after he left the field the tower Butkus... By a bolt from the heart and 23 fumble recoveries over his 15 seasons an offer from the title... Message needs to be delivered, Lanier knows who to call upon our community that the disease of crosses... He walked over the painted sideline the tip of his body rebuilding her life Famous people born on December... Called me a mezzanine rookie the second year until you played in the Pro Hall! 'S role as general manager and his career former 'Packer wife ' will go Towards Green Bay Packers Ray... Being a successful Actor is going to mess with you mostly from being a.. Drafted by the NFL 's 50th Anniversary took me under his wing and said is... Venice, FL, at the drop of a hat of all things, judge beauty...

Bob Jackson Frame Numbers, Articles R