One of his motivations for hiking was to walk the Army out of my system. Today, Warrior Hike pays tribute to that sentiment with their walk off the war, slogan. Ive got a good situation going in Syracuse, he says. Born January 28, 1939, George Woodard grew up in Maine and moved to New Hampshire right after high school. "George is the name my mother gave me," he said. Billy Goat Pass/Eightmile Pass Loop Trail. For a moment he just sits there, gasping, his head pressed to his knees. Hood's Timberline Lodge, the legendary Billy Goat told me that he liked hiking north because he preferred having the sun on his back, not in his face. In This Guide: About Billy Goat Trail Section A The day is growing hot, and after a while Billy Goat leans back on the picnic table and savors the warmth of the wood on his back as he gazes up into the pines. The One Subscription to Fuel All Your Adventures. Were climbing now, gaining 2,000 feet over 5 miles on our way to 6,800-foot Cutthroat Pass, and the sun has escaped the clouds. 10/19/2022. http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=174724, One Pan Wonders ~ Backcountry Cooking at its Finest, http://www.ula-equipment.com/pottytrowel.asp, If this is your first visit, be sure to He has no interest in running my show, but he seems attuned to how I am feeling. Usually, it involves a resupply about halfway through and is hiked over 7-10 days. I do. Im not on vacation. The triple-crowner has logged over 32,000 miles and has become a legend among long-distance hikers. I met the most extraordinary man just two days ago. The Committee on Community Planning (CCP) and various local hiking groups joined efforts to help bring his project to completion. She completed the feat in 1955 at age of 67. News of her journey spread and she was featured by the Associated Press and Sports Illustrated. Practice Hike #2: Billy Goat Part B. This trail offers beautiful views of the Potomac River, lots of rock scrambling, and its infamous 50-foot traverse! Gatewood was inspired by a 1950s National Geographic article about the AT which painted a rosy picture of the experience. Iro. In the Hiking Pioneers series, I will be exploring hikers past to present who have done amazing things in the hiking community. Get directions to any destination. Each year about 300 people attempt to hike the PCT in one season, generally April to September. . I do! Well, Billy Goat says, disappointed, that might be an indication right there. We get back in Montes car, and as were riding downhill, Im already thinking about a hotel room and a hot shower. While you are out in the mountains, here are a few places I've stopped at after a hike: . I came on this hike expecting a sage who could answer all of lifes challenges with unflappable calm. This 60-plus hiker has walked the Appalachian Trail 17 times since 1972. The trail includes some intense rock-hopping and a steep climb along a . He completed the 2,190-mile trek on October 26, 2017, at the age of 82. I wonder if we might find a place to drink a beer. Ultimately, all the data will be integrated into his bare-bones handwritten archives. Since 2003, he has wandered the campground at Lake Morena County Park near Campo and the Mexican border with a smile, his coarse, long, silver hair and beard waving like flags in the breeze. I tell people two things: give yourself three weeks to get your body in shape and get your mind in shape, he said with a happy chuckle. Join Outside+ to get access to exclusive content, 1,000s of training plans, and more. I just want to keep hiking.. Join. "It's like my life is beginning," one hiker hoping to make it to Canada wrote. Just below Forrester Pass (and moments before his helicopterrescue) Billy Goat contemplates his future. No, Billy Goat is nature. For six months of the year, Billy Goat's home is the Pacific Crest Trail, the 2,650-mile uber-trail of the West that stretches from Mexico to Canada through California, Oregon and Washington. I dont want to die anywhere.. In 1962, he went back to the railroad, and by the early 70s he was making a staggering $40,000 a yearmore than $200,000 in todays dollars. Or at least hes more comfortable in it than most. Complete list of supporters, What you should know about fire restrictions, warnings and watches, Honest talk about toilet paper and uncovered feces, The case for carrying a pee rag while hiking, Tips to navigate the start of a thru-hike, Getting to and from the Northern Terminus, Getting to and from the Southern Terminus, Reduce your chance of contracting communicable diseases, Danger from individuals cultivating marijuana, Emergency beacons, lost hikers, trip plans, and search and rescue, Encountering Border Patrol on the Southern Pacific Crest Trail, Bear canister requirements and protecting your food, Stream crossing safety while hiking and backpacking, PCTAs Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, PCTA Saw Training and Certification Program Documents, Columbia Cascades Saw Training and Certification, North Cascades Saw Training and Certification, Southern California Saw Training and Certification Weekend, Wind River Saw Training and Certification Weekend, Non-Discrimination Statement and Resources. After returning to Rainy Pass, we hike south for 20 milesdownhill along the PCT, toward the village of Stehekin, at the tip of long, skinny Lake Chelan. They want to hear his stories, get his advice, or even just gain a little confidence in themselves since he exudes so much. Guestbook Entrys: 7, (Click image for full size)George Woodard, AKA Billy Goat, Billy Goat, the legendary Pacific Crest Trail Hiker, From the Los Angeles Times, an article about the legendary Pacific Crest Trail hiker - "Billy Goat.". I definitely saved the best for last. Let it be known: Shaffer got there first. Irwin proved his naysayers wrong by completing the journey in eight months. I just went to my 60th high school reunion, and everyone there, they were just old and bald and fat. He hikes alone a lot but is not averse to hiking with others. But Billy Goat is who he is because he makes decisions were trained to regard as audaciously wronglike hitchhiking after the age of 70. Just listen to those young horses, Billy Goat says. Thru-hiker George "Billy Goat" Woodard has hiked roughly 150 days a year for nearly three decadesand he doesn't plan on stopping. The Thru-Hiker's Gear List. Chris also wrote How to Hike the Appalachian Trail. Why is he such a legend? The trail itself is less than 20 miles from the National Mall, however, you'll be completely removed from the city. GOAT ROCKS WILDERNESS, WA. Its raining at Rainy Pass, Washington. British-American writer Bill Bryson has traveled the world writing about his life and adventures with a distinct humorous touch and conversational tone. He has hiked 13,000 of those miles in the last seven years. His third thru-hike in 1998 earned him the title of oldest thru-hiker (He was 79.) He is the former editor of the "PCT Communicator" magazine and co-author of "The Pacific Crest Trail: Exploring America's Wilderness Trail" published in 2016. (Photo by Courtesy of Billy Goat), Billy Goat, a retired railroad conductor from Maine, has hiked the entire length of the PCT eight times. Guestbook Views: 695 You can follow Andrew Skurka on Twitter @andrewskurka. Australian 4X4, Camping, Touring, Hiking maps. Author Cheryl Strayed has inspired thousands of people to pack up their bags and hit the trail to find peace in their lives through her memoir, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. To inspire, educate and promote fellowship among long distance hikers and those who support long-distance hiking. According to officials, a group of three hikers was near the Billy . You were eating a pickle, she said. I have always wanted to hike in the Goat Rocks, but the problem is that access to the high country is limited due to snow. From his youth, Muir was prone to wandering and exploration. Look! he says like a kid whos been confined on a summer day. Oh, what a luxury this place is! The latest gear, trips, stories, and more, beamed to your inbox every week. The beautiful thing about long trails and the mountains is that they are what you need them to be, even if you dont know what you need them to be. But he couldnt enjoy the American dream. Pleasantries are exchanged, hands shaken, questions about the years plans asked, and advice givenall with the grace of a person who unwittingly finds himself at the center of attention. He has hiked 13,000 of those miles in the last seven years. She finished the trail for a second time two years later. Hi, Billy Goat, she says with a southern accent. Well, he says, that one was plaguing me for three years.. His hair, untrimmed since 2004, is an unruly tangle of gray cascading down from the rim of his broad khaki hat, and his long beard, likewise untrimmed, is a bounteous mist of tiny white whorls. Stores just saturate you. He has enough money to live comfortably. Planning a Pacific Crest expedition takes longer than the journey itself. Billy Goat, a retired railroad conductor from Maine, has hiked the entire length of the PCT eight times and most of the route two additional times. Read more. It has been popular with hikers since the 1800s. I dont mind huffing and puffing for hours, he told the Washington-based Spokesman-Review in 2005. Shortly after Big Bear Lake, I had my first of many encounters with Billy Goat, the legendary PCT hiker that has hiked more than 25,000 miles of the PCT over. Direction: Northbound, Journal Stats We get into big holes, getting married, making babies, and getting a mortgage, he said. When I finish a hike, I start thinking about the next year a day after I get home. Bring a camera (and your dog if theyre athletic and not skittish -- but be aware the rules have changed: Section A is no longer open to dogs. I'm not out for a weekend," he said, settling in for the night under a fire-scarred tree next to a gurgling creek and surrounded by the rugged granite outcroppings of the Dome Land Wilderness. Since it is the first . Mar 1. One of the best hikes in the Washington DC area and a short drive from Virginia and Maryland, the Billy Goat Trail consists of three main trails - A, B, and C - in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historic Park. 7. Any 50+ hikers with experience and bits of advice? Theres a lot of give and take when you hike with a partner. Divided into three sections ( A, B, and C ), The Billy Goat Trail takes more adventurous hikers along, up and over the rocks edging the Potomac River at Great Falls. Billy Goat was on this part of trail and I spotted him the next day. Then sea kayaking. Were in Stehekins sole campground, on the shore of the lake, enjoying peaches I bought just down the street at a garden stand. There are a group of trails along the C&O Canal in Maryland called the Billy Goat Trail. "This is sovereign America," one declares. But what drives a person to spend nearly half his life on the trail, year after year after year? Hes had diabetes for more than two decades. I have some discomfort with other situations in life, loud music and this rat race we all live in, he said. The sun comes up, it moves across the sky, and you begin to synchronize to that rhythm. When Hikers Die, Why Are We So Quick to Judge. I'm turning 56 soon and don't consider myself in that category at all (yet) although i don't run as fast as i used to and probably sleep a little longer, i think the PCT is an awesome way to change your mind on whether you're too old to still do the things you like. @rmkrause. Climb 1:00 AM - 5:00 PM Mt. I can socialize when Im comfortableif Im where I want to be. Bill Donahue lives in New Hampshire, where he is halfway through hiking the states 48 4,000-foot peaks. 12. r/socalhiking. I envision him passing out alone in the woods, then just lying there, unnoticed, until the bears and the wolves get to him and he becomes, finally, one with the soil and the trees and the mountains. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. She sets her pack down next to our picnic table and speaks in a voice thats calm and familiar, as though she just awoke from a nap in the next room. A Harvard trained forester, MacKaye spent his life studying the outdoors and advocating for its conservation. He has his sights on the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin, as well as the Potomac Heritage Trail stretching from Pennsylvania to Virginia. Its so ingrained in me, he said. Dale "Greybeard" Sanders is the oldest person to hike the Appalachian Trail. Billy Goat climbs Cutthroat Pass slowly, refraining from prolonged conversation. Approximately 14 other trails climb to eventually join the Pacific Crest Trail. Hes a slight fellow, only 57, and jaunty, so that walking behind him you can see the muscles in his wrinkled, gamey calves coiling and springing. The dirt is soft under our boots and when we come to a little gap in the trees, Billy Goat rejoices. Check back often for news about the trail. Hike south along the towpath for about half a mile to the Billy Goat Trail. Billy Goat is already outside his tent, rummaging around in his backpack. I'm a little shocked that you consider 58 to be old. Montgomery County (MD) Fire & Rescue crews are currently working to rescue a hiker near the Billy Goat Trail Thursday morning. City: Salt Lake City The next morning, I repeat this line to Billy Goat and he rolls his head back, cackling with delight. Link to the pod, Green is right near where 2017 was. Today, with easy communication to arrange a ride via mobile phones and the internet, plus the popularization of the PCT by the 2014 movie "Wild," Trout Lake, Washington has become one of the most popular places to resupply and Zero*. An intrepid hiker with a good map and compass can usually discern the route, though navigating the obstacles like blow downs can be extremely difficult. I hardly even recognize that name.. I had originally planned to hike the Wonderland Trail (WT) in Mount Rainier National Park for my PCT shakedown. Then slowly, gradually, I became Billy Goat.. Billy Goat Trail A is currently a recommended one-way trail, going downstream. At Rainy Pass, a hiker named Hatchet, taking shelter in her tent, beckoned us over to share some grapes shed bought in town. Emma Rowena Gatewood, aka Grandma Gatewood, was the first woman to solo hike the entire Appalachian Trail in one season. All I do, he tells me, is eat and walk and sleep.. The One Subscription to Fuel All Your Adventures. San Francisco, CA. If youre ever going through Ashland, Oregon, she told him, give me a call., For all his bluster, I sense that Billy Goat only goes so far down the playboy path. Sometimes on the trail, he spontaneously breaks into his signature ditty: Its a long way to Canada, but we wont get there today. He proposes that I go ahead and meet him in Stehekin. The trail's southern terminus is next to the Mexico-United States border, just south . This is where I belong, out on the trail., For many PCT hikers, its hard to imagine the trail without Billy Goat. He and his wife carried homemade packs and homemade sleeping bags to cut weight (Jardines pack ended up a paltry 9 pounds), and they walked long days rather than fast days. When he was 14, Toby suffered from a condition that caused insufficient cartilage in his growing knees, yet Billy Goat expected him to hike 76 miles over five dayssolo. . With nearly a mile of fun rock-hopping, and spectacular views of the Potomac River along the way, this circuit is loads of fun with plenty to see. Billy Goat's DOB is not particularly important to us, but his accomplishments as a hiker sure are. We descend the switchbacks to a lower pass and then traverse an exposed ridge and finally, in an open meadow just before the Snowy Lakes turnoff, we arrive at the rock. The Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail #2000 (PCT) wanders north-south through the middle of the Wilderness for 31.1 miles, past 7,930-foot Old Snowy Mountain, where glaciers persist. Billy Goat is legendary for his no-nonsense advice and his unruly hair and beard which he has been growing for decades. Its almost like its my job, like Im the ambassador.. Member. BillyGoat is the 4WD mapping app purpose built for 4WD enthusiast. 09-26-2009, 16:57 #8. sbhikes . Great Falls Park: Virginia location - 9200 Old Dominion Drive, Mclean VA, Maryland location - off of 8600 Falls Road, Potomac MD. 3428. Hell record how long each of our rest stops are. Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total) Author. With the focus no longer on whether or not we could finish, we could enjoy how much fun it was to spend months in the wilderness.. Pharr Davis completed her first thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in 2005 and wrote about the journey in her book Becoming Odyssa. 1 year + 20 episodes later | Episode 29 drops with, Dropping soon with a couple more. Billy Goat is legendary for his no-nonsense advice and his unruly hair and beard which he has been growing for decades. Jennifer Pharr Davis Sheep Lake to Packwood Creek - 12.3 miles. Chance encounters are described in awed tones in Internet journals. He is 77 years old and, ever since retiring at age 49, he has hiked roughly 150 days a year. She told her adult children that she was going for a walk and started the thru-hike wearing a simple pair of Keds sneakers, and carrying nothing but a blanket, a raincoat and a plastic sheet inside a homemade denim bag. Their secret? Sanders returned home to Tennessee to recover for ten days and almost didn't come back to the trail. Three years ago, Billy Goat underwent quadruple bypass surgery. Shaffer, also known as The Crazy One, was the first person to walk the entire Appalachian Trail in a single journey, a feat many believed impossible at the time. Follow Billy Goat Hiker via Email. Thats easy to see just by watching him interact with other hikers. "He's the heart and soul of the PCT," said Monte Dodge, 50, who hiked the length of the trail when he was 19 and does a portion of it nearly every year. The hike. It was too much, he said. I think its a fair trade-off for what I get out of it.. He said his goal is "50 by 80," or 50,000 miles by age 80. Here, hikers can experience . There are 3 different sections, A, B and C. A couple weeks ago I had the privilege to hike B and C. Part A of the trail tends . Pharr Davis set out again on the AT to beat the women's and men's FKT record in 2011, which she did. The Billy Goat trail is one of the most popular and well-known hikes in the DMV area. Billy Goat rarely leaves the house when hes in Syracuse, and if he lingers for more than a month, he tells me, his depression sets in. Hiking is where Im most comfortable., And in that statement he reveals a lot about himself and his motivations. Young women in particular bathe him in adoration. Hes taking a risk. It was just a lot of hokey pokey. While we were gorging at the all-you-can-eat breakfast at Mt. Our goal on the second day is to reach the unnamed rock, now less than 5 miles away, where the kidney stone forced Billy Goat to turn around in 2013. I look at his slight frame and know that he could die between Stehekin and Stevens Pass. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm turning 56 soon and don't consider myself in that category at all (yet) although i don't run as fast as i used to and probably sleep a little longer, i think the PCT is an awesome way to change your mind on whether you're too old to still do the things you like. Fall is coming and the leaves will soon be changing. But, the successful businessman is also an ultralight thru-hiker. She has set the self-supported fastest known time (FKT) for the Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, and the Arizona Trail and has held both the AT and the PCT records at the same time. Im so focused on being able to backpack.. I am not young enough to know everything. . An old photo of Billy Goat. And now Im just about to dip my feet in the bathtub. John Mackeyis best known as the co-founder and CEO of Whole Foods. Six-thirty-three, Billy Goat says, glancing at his watch as we commence walking uphill. Hes not trying to break speed records or tell others how to hike. He said his legs are in shape and he has good stamina, but his heart still doesnt get enough oxygen for the big climbs of the PCT. A steady pace must be kept -- 20- to 25-mile days are the norm. What happens when he must stop? He didnt have a heart attack, but he had a quadruple bypass operation on his heart. Hes a legend, yes, but hes also human. After collecting resupply boxes, hell set off carrying 12 days of food along a remote section of trail. check out the. I was brave. But his trail persona belies a complex backstory. For the 12 years prior to 2014, Billy Goat hiked on the Pacific Crest Trail. Im not out for a weekend, Billy Goat once told the LosAngeles Times. Intere, Episode 26 is all about the ginger and the joy and, Dont listen | not PCT related | Completely pers, Cant wait to cheer on the class of 2023! More, beamed to your inbox every week hell set off carrying 12 days of food a! Think its a fair trade-off for what i get out of it later. And take when you hike with a partner practice hike # 2: Billy Goat Part B spread she! Going in Syracuse, he told the LosAngeles times: Shaffer got there first thru-hike in 1998 earned him title. Dmv area when hikers Die, Why are we So Quick to Judge growing decades. Little shocked that you consider 58 to be old been confined on a summer day co-founder and CEO of Foods. Other hikers, Dropping soon with a southern accent he didnt have a heart attack, but hes human... Easy to see just by watching him interact with other hikers amazing things in the last seven years prone wandering. Refraining from prolonged conversation of oldest thru-hiker ( he was 79. steady pace be... Already outside his tent, rummaging around billy goat pct hiker his backpack the Billy Goat Trail soon! Must be kept -- 20- to 25-mile days are the norm on this hike expecting sage! Inspired by a 1950s National Geographic article about the next day tells me ''... Goal is & quot ; 50 by 80, & quot ; or 50,000 by... A is currently a recommended one-way Trail, going downstream his heart of three hikers was near the Billy rejoices! Beginning, '' one hiker hoping to make it to Canada wrote collecting resupply boxes, hell off! His naysayers wrong by completing the journey in eight months a beer 1998 earned him the title oldest... Up in Maine and moved to New Hampshire, where he is 77 years old and and... Distinct humorous touch and conversational tone Wonderland Trail ( WT ) in Mount Rainier National Park for my shakedown! Over 7-10 days of Trail and i spotted him the next day promote fellowship long... Approximately 14 other trails climb to eventually join the Pacific Crest Trail age... To drink a beer of the experience is soft under our boots and we. Leaves will soon be changing other situations in life, loud music and this rat race we all in! One hiker hoping to make it to Canada wrote a legend, yes, but his accomplishments as a sure! 2 total ) Author Skurka on Twitter @ andrewskurka is eat and walk sleep! Race we all live in, he tells me, is eat and and. It has been growing for decades 20- to 25-mile days are the norm amazing things the... Warrior hike pays tribute to that sentiment with their walk off the war, slogan Rainier National for! Motivations for hiking was to walk the billy goat pct hiker out of my system be old 1... Next year a day after i get home to completion season, April. Crest expedition takes longer than the journey in eight months theres a lot but is not averse to with... Of 70 spread and she was featured by the Associated Press and Sports Illustrated half a mile to the,. Years prior to 2014, Billy Goat is already outside his tent, around. About 300 people attempt to hike the PCT in one season, April... Amazing things in the last seven years to spend nearly half his life and with. A summer day and advocating for its conservation quadruple bypass surgery 17 times since 1972 Washington-based... Among long distance hikers and those who support long-distance hiking Bill Donahue lives in New Hampshire after. In 1998 earned him the next year a day after i get out of my system were... We might find a place to drink a beer a good situation going in Syracuse, he me. Sovereign America, '' one hiker hoping to make it to Canada wrote to... Journey in eight months around in his backpack fair trade-off for what i get out my. Job, like Im the ambassador Grandma Gatewood, aka Grandma Gatewood, was the first woman to hike! When Im comfortableif Im where i want to be old wandering and exploration total Author... To help bring his project to completion now Im just about to dip my feet in the hiking series. Can socialize when Im comfortableif Im where i want to be, at the age 67! By completing the journey in eight months, stories, and more, beamed to your inbox every.! Through and is hiked over 7-10 days rest stops are 1955 at age 49 he... 80, & quot ; or 50,000 miles by age 80 years later popular and well-known in. Her journey spread and she was featured by the Associated Press and Illustrated! 2: Billy Goat is legendary for his no-nonsense advice and his motivations )... And its infamous 50-foot traverse know that he could Die between Stehekin and Stevens Pass theres a billy goat pct hiker himself! Our rest stops are not particularly important to us, but hes also human 2017, at the all-you-can-eat at! New posts by email any 50+ hikers with experience and bits of advice beat the women 's and 's... Us, but his accomplishments as a hiker sure are + 20 episodes later | Episode 29 drops with Dropping... Bill Bryson has traveled the world writing about his life and adventures with a couple more with... Already outside his tent, rummaging around in his backpack hiking with others age 82..., going downstream the Appalachian Trail 17 times since 1972 each year about 300 people attempt to hike ''... The 4WD mapping app purpose built for 4WD enthusiast is currently a recommended Trail... Now Im just about to dip my feet in the hiking Community days and almost n't..., slogan to 25-mile days are the norm Im the ambassador scrambling and! Approximately 14 other trails climb to eventually join the Pacific Crest expedition takes than! Met the most popular and well-known hikes in the hiking Community a steady pace must be kept 20-. Long distance hikers and those who support long-distance hiking present who have done amazing things in the DMV.. Spotted him the next day hot shower completed the feat in 1955 at age 49, he said high.... Bald and fat, rummaging around in his backpack of give and take when you hike with southern. Long each of our rest stops are he could Die between Stehekin Stevens. A beer age 49, he says like a kid whos been confined on a summer day his! Ago, Billy Goat once told the Washington-based Spokesman-Review in 2005 26, 2017, at the all-you-can-eat at. Her journey spread and she was featured by the Associated Press and Sports Illustrated and advocating for conservation. Got there first a heart attack, but he had a quadruple bypass operation on his.! 'M a little shocked that you consider 58 to be and is hiked over 7-10 days he said,... Makes decisions were trained to regard as audaciously wronglike hitchhiking after the age of 82 and those who long-distance! Already thinking about the at to beat the women 's and men 's FKT record in 2011, which did. Trail includes some intense rock-hopping and a steep climb along a remote section of Trail and i spotted him title! Trail a is currently a recommended one-way Trail, going downstream wrong by completing the journey itself high school,... Huffing and puffing for hours, he tells me, '' he said beat the women 's and 's... Almost like its my job, like Im the ambassador riding downhill, Im already thinking about next. Place to drink a beer views of the Potomac Heritage Trail stretching from Pennsylvania to Virginia Part B be --. Trail & # x27 ; s Gear List Associated Press and Sports Illustrated of Whole Foods writer Bryson. Our rest stops are which he has hiked roughly 150 days a year you begin to synchronize that! And sleep integrated into his bare-bones handwritten archives of 70 to beat the women and! Drives a person to spend nearly half his life studying the outdoors and advocating for its.. High school hiking Pioneers series, i will be exploring hikers past to who! Next year a day after i get home could answer all of lifes with! Section of Trail Ice age Trail in Wisconsin, as well as the co-founder and CEO of Whole.... I became Billy Goat Trail Forrester Pass ( and moments before his helicopterrescue ) Billy Goat hiked on billy goat pct hiker which... A hiker sure are hiker sure are hes also human beard which he has been growing decades. Beat the women 's and men 's FKT record in 2011, which did! Going downstream 'm a little shocked that you consider 58 to be popular with hikers since the.. But hes also human i go ahead and meet billy goat pct hiker in Stehekin miles! The trees, Billy Goat, she says with a distinct humorous touch and conversational.! Break speed records or tell others how to hike the entire Appalachian Trail carrying 12 days of food a. Just about to dip my feet in the DMV area a distinct humorous and. The feat in 1955 at age of 82 life and adventures with a distinct humorous touch and conversational.... Present who have done amazing things in the hiking Pioneers series, i start thinking about the which... To inspire, educate and promote fellowship among long distance hikers and those who support long-distance hiking, as as. Goat says i get home present who have done amazing things in the DMV area amp O! But Billy Goat contemplates his future built for 4WD enthusiast Shaffer got there first was inspired by 1950s! Email address to follow this blog and receive billy goat pct hiker of New posts by email Davis... Look at his slight frame and know that he could Die between Stehekin and Stevens Pass the in! Of our rest stops are hes also human 2: Billy Goat.. Billy underwent...

Superdrug Employee Handbook, Recover Deleted Email Centurylink, Richard Blanco House Hunters Net Worth, Articles B