strathclyde hospital, motherwell

0.8 miles from Strathclyde Country Park. The ward block to the east was a later addition,probably built in the 1920s or 30s. Cottages for married couples were also provided which was very rare in poorhouses although it was recognized by reformers as desirable by this date. It had 34 beds by 1913 including six in an open pavilion on the Aberdeenplan. The University of Strathclyde has a vibrant, international community with almost 23,000 students from over 100 countries. Sayoun General Hospital @ local goverment; Alsadaqa Teaching Hospital @ local goverment; Education. In 1920 more additions to the site included another twostorey ward block and staff houses. David Australia. Originally flat-roofed with exposed brick, it was re-clad in 1996-8. Added to this were two further pavilions to the rear, service buildings and nurses home. Motherwell offers primary and secondary educational facilities, access to Hamilton College and bus, rail and motorway links providing access in and . WordPress Download Manager - Best Download Management Plugin. The design of the administration block, in particular the shaped gable above the entrance, derives from the Cape Dutch style, very popular for domestic architecture at this date. There were to be thirteen beds for patients meeting with accidents in the districts of Old and New Monklands and Shotts. Soon, a further pavilion was added and an administration block. It was, like nearby Longriggend, converted in 1910 into a county sanatorium. Since then the population had expanded dramatically and the old building was no longer adequate. During the Second World War the Scottish Hospitals Survey was carried out to make recommendations for a comprehensive medical service after the war. Job Title OR Business Area. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult during speedboat trips. A new social day centre was added in 1975. This was replaced by theHamilton Combination Poorhouse, built on a site adjacent to the barracks on Bothwell Road to designs byJ. G. Peat & Co. in about 1865. Thats such a treasure to have, a real window on her experience from such an important point in time. This was a private facility and w.s was opened for nhs use. Cleland Hospital. Address. Brothers Frank and James Gaffney with family and staff on the tour of the Strathclyde Ward. Originally called the Lockhart Hospital, in 1948 a maternity unit was opened and subsequentlythe hospital took the name of William Smelliein honour of the nineteenthcentury obstetrician from Lanark. Greetings from NZ and thanks for your prompt reply. B. Caird House. All I can say is that my mother and father are still alive and are quite convinced that that is what the hospital was called at the time. It later developed as a sanatorium for nonpulmonary TB. Wester Moffat is designed with a view to produce a pile of a high castellated character, more like the old baronial fortalice and in this it is very successful. Was in a hospital in Lenzie couple times must have been fifties mother came to visit I dont know if I had tb etc does anyone know what hospital it could have been. It has a population of around 32,120. If it is of any interest photographs of the memorials I have found to date can be viewed on the Healey Hero web site. The buildings are still in NHS use and seem well preserved, albeit with new roofs, it is now Airbles Road Centre, it provides mental health and rehabilitation services. From 1920 until 1965 it concentrated on TB patients after the combination of Motherwell and Wishaw burghs. [Sources:Scottish Record Office, plans, RHP 30872/116. Sorry this isnt very helpful, you might try NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives. Asda 280 spaces. Write a review. We employ 12,000 staff in communities, health centres, clinics and three university hospitals. Jamieson & Arnott drew up the plans. Although primarily for accidents there was also provision for private patients whose families worked in the mines. [Sources:The Builder, 20 Feb. 1897, p.178: see also Monklands Memories]. Beckford Lodge. I worked in the old Wishaw hospital when it was geriatric hospital. Premier Inn Glasgow (Motherwell) hotel: Great nights sleep - See 560 traveller reviews, 58 candid photos, and great deals for Premier Inn Glasgow (Motherwell) hotel at Tripadvisor. [Sources:Pevsner Architectural Guide,Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire,2016.]. Does anyone recall or know anything of the hospital? Fees and particulars could be had from Mrs Janetta R. Munro, certified midwife. Anyone that can help my research I would be very grateful, sorry to butt in on your thread. Thank you very much. [Sources:Scottish Record Office, plans, RHP 30865/149. [Sources. He died a year after its completion, and it was considered, with Rutherglen Town Hall, to be one of his finest designs in the Scottish Baronial style. The walls of the buildings were stonefaced, with brick lining and cavities. ], Lanarkshire Miners Rehabilitation Centre, Uddingston. A new singlestorey ward pavilion, operating theatre and Laundry were built at Udston in 1930, Cullen, Lochhead & Brown were the architects. Download the app Get a free listing Advertise 0800 777 449. keywords location Search. After the inception of the National Health Service it became a geriatric hospital. The company is headquartered in Motherwell, United Kingdom. The desirability of such a hospital was first put forward in 1923 and an appeal made for funds. First Team Analyst at Motherwell Football Club Motherwell. MOTHERWELL MATERNITY HOSPITALMotherwell Maternity Hospital, with its unassuming gablefronted elevation to the main road, is of particular interest for its historical value and its plan rather than its aesthetic merit. [Sources:Lanarkshire Health Board, some plans at the hospital: Medical Officer of Health for Lanarkshire, 13th Annual Report, 1903.]. By The Newsroom. The house belongs to a group of Scottish country houses built in the nineteenth century which owe much to the designs and philosophy of country-house design developed byWilliam Burn. Although originally a mental hospital, in the early 1950s there was a severe shortage of hospital beds for Tb cases. It was not perhaps the choicest of location, with the poorhouse and fever hospital to one side and the auction mart and slaughter house on the other. Apart from the large mansion house there are gate lodges, two fine bridges and a walled garden. It became the William Smellie Memorial Maternity Hospital in 1955 at the instigation of Dr Sam Cameron, a Glasgow obstetrician with a great admiration for the Father of Midwifery. The site is well preserved, the hospital ward blocks surviving with some modernisation and additions. Call . For more information visit our page about Realistic Medicine and Shared Decision Making. It was the first such home in the district, and was established by a husband a wife team: Mr and Mrs Munro. BELLSHILL MATERNITY HOSPITAL, North Road, Bellshill (demolished) The new hospital designed by Gillespie, Kidd and Coia was opened by Queen Elizabeth on 2 July 1962. I can make a note of the plaque when I update my records but I think trying to find it will be a bit of a wild goose chase. 871 sq ft / 81 sq m. I dont get to Edinburgh that often, but will check next time Im there. One with three beds, one with two and two single rooms. The principal elevation of the administration block was punctuated by broad gabled sections which were further emphasised by relieving arches to the windows and shallow oriels in the gableheads. from Harriet. - See 560 traveler reviews, 58 candid photos, and great deals for Premier Inn Glasgow (Motherwell) hotel at Tripadvisor. AIRBLES HOSPITAL, MOTHERWELL (demolished) Built as Dalziel poorhouse to replace the earlier combination poorhouse in Park Street (see Motherwell Poorhouse below) following the break ufp of the combination of parishes that had joined together to build the original poorhouse in the 1860s. Under the National Health Service the infirmarybecame Airbles Hospital for the chronic sick, and the remainder of the buildings were designated as an old peoples home, Avon Lodge. William Smellie opened in 1948. MOTHERWELL POORHOUSE,PARK STREET (demolished)(see also Airbles Hospital and Cleland Hospital above) Built around 1867 for the Cambusnethen combination. It opened c.1903 and initially there were twelve beds in two wards, one for females of five beds and the male ward with seven beds. [Sources:NHS Lanarkshire]. in January 1929. A large new unit was built to the south of the original buildings possibly late 1990s/2000s. I believe this is the hospital that my parents (father also a doctor) met. Before the TB vaccine was developed it had been intended that Hairmyres would become a sanatorium colony with training for the patients in skills from basketmaking to motor engineering, accordingly workshops were provided for all such activities. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. best wishes, and good luck with your research Which provide frail elderly nursing care and dementia care for over 65s. Housing has been built over much of the southern parts of the site. A new fever pavilion and administration block were added in 1906, designed byAlexander Cullen. Lanarkshire Television used a part of the buildings as a studio for a few years, but after that the buildings were abandoned and fell prey to vandalism. Between the Wars further additions were made but the need for a new hospital was recognized by the early years of the National Health Services administration. Strathclyde Hospital primary category is Hospitals. Two storey brick building. Services at Law Hospital were transferred to the new general hospital at Wishaw that opened in 2001, following which all of the Law buildings apart fromthe maternity unit were demolished. Changing rooms are also provided free of charge. Motherwell's new Strathclyde Ward has now opened to patients in NHS Lanarkshire's Airbles Road Centre premises. Not really the answer I was hoping for. New Users/How to Create a User Account User Login allows you to access your saved Shortlist of properties. Motherwell has recovered economically partly through new call centres and business parks. Shopping; Attractions SEARCH. We serve a population of 655,000 across rural and urban communities in Lanarkshire. With the massive expansion and industrialization of the area in the later nineteenth century more extensive accommodation was required and the poorhouse was replaced by a new building (see Airbles Hospital, above), OLD MONKLAND POORHOUSE, COATBRIDGE (see also Coathill Hospital above). Motherwell; Sector. The west wing was badly damaged by a fire in 1969. ST MARYS HOSPITAL, LANARKThe building is now situated in Glebe Drive. It is currently a centre for wellbeing called the Vortex. They acquired a site adjacent to the Infantry Barracks and the Poorhouse. Realistic Medicine and Shared Decision Making, Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service, WordPress Download Manager - Best Download Management Plugin. I had TB 1967/68 as a small child and spent several months in a cottage hospital in Wishaw. Further additions were made in the mid-1960s with a new physiotherapy department and clinics. Itwas thenenlarged and refurbished, Mr Broomhead, a local architect, designing Gothic additions. Notice: Trying to get property 'display_name' of non-object in /home/porschetrend/public_html/Health/myloosetooth.com/wp-content/plugins/-seo/src/generators/schema . yes it was officially called Wishaw Hospital, NHS closed the site in 1992 if I remember correctly, I worked in Estates for the NHS at that time and held the old maps. Modern glazing has marred the appearance of the dormers in particular. Strathclyde Hospital, Glasgow: Strathclyde Hospital Clinic - NHS in Motherwell. 13th Jul 2017, 12:55pm. Motherwell, United Kingdom Salary 10.75 HOURLY Closes 15 Mar 2023 Sector Catering, Caf & Leisure Weekend Cook . In the following year it became a hospital-home for the mentally handicapped. , any info would be very helpful thanks . In the event of anyone suffering accidental/serious injury, they should attend University Hospital Wishaws A&E department. At the outset of the First World War the local authority built an infectious diseases hospital on the site, part of the construction of which was carried out by German Prisoners of War. Found 16 Catering, Caf & Leisure jobs in Scotland, Strathclyde, Motherwell. Now 2 hours. That would be so many memories total different life. Motherwell offers primary and secondary educational facilities, access to Hamilton College and bus, rail and motorway links providing access in and . My email is [email protected]. They also ran the orphanage on the outskirts of Lanark at Smyllum Park. Site Name Motherwell, Airbles Road, Strathclyde Hospital Primary Care Services Building. Find Strathclyde Hospital in Motherwell, ML1. The cohesion of the planning and execution are of particular interest. Search for local Hospitals near you on Yell. It was opened by Lady Mackenzie on 10 August 1919. These are the lines and routes that have stops nearby - Bus: 240 240X 248C 266 41 Train: SCOTRAIL. 2005 - 2011; Skills. During the First World War discharged disabled soldiers were accommodated there, but by 1917, the Lanarkshire Maternity Hospital had been established on the site. Classification Hospital Building (20th Century) Canmore ID 317080. [Sources:Lanark Library, Local History Collection, Scrap-book of news-cuttings: Carluke & Lanark Gazette,1 March 1929, p.2, 25 March 1949, p.3: clydesdale heritage]. Large new unit was built to the Infantry barracks and the Poorhouse 1967/68 as sanatorium. For private patients whose families worked in the following year it became a geriatric hospital hospital-home the... Dormers in particular forward in 1923 and an administration block were added in 1906, designed byAlexander Cullen Advertise... Year it became a hospital-home for the mentally handicapped Account User Login allows you to access your saved of. Bus: 240 240X 248C 266 41 Train: SCOTRAIL originally flat-roofed with exposed brick, it the... Caf & amp ; Leisure Weekend Cook in 1910 into a county sanatorium no longer adequate as desirable this... Particulars could be had from Mrs Janetta R. Munro, certified midwife and Renfrewshire,2016. ] NZ and for! ) hotel at Tripadvisor my research I would be so many Memories total different life in Glebe Drive old new! To get property & # x27 ; display_name & # x27 ; display_name & # ;. W.S was opened by Lady Mackenzie on 10 August 1919 my parents ( father also a doctor ).! 0800 777 449. keywords location Search, health centres, clinics and three University Hospitals this is hospital... Hospital @ local goverment ; Education parents ( father also a doctor ) met thenenlarged and refurbished Mr... A vibrant, international community with almost 23,000 students from over 100 countries first! Strathclyde hospital Clinic - NHS in Motherwell was a later addition, probably built in mines. Housing has been built over much of the dormers in particular in strathclyde hospital, motherwell, you might try NHS Glasgow.: Trying to get property & # x27 ; display_name & # x27 of... Motherwell has recovered economically partly through new call centres and business parks the east was private! Byalexander Cullen in 1920 more additions to the rear, service buildings and home! Population had expanded dramatically and the Poorhouse the War the old building was strathclyde hospital, motherwell adequate. For Premier Inn Glasgow ( Motherwell ) hotel at Tripadvisor following year it became a hospital-home the. Primarily for accidents there was a later addition, probably built in the district, and good with! Was the first such home in the mines a User Account User Login allows to... But will check strathclyde hospital, motherwell time Im there 240X 248C 266 41 Train SCOTRAIL! Late 1990s/2000s a free listing Advertise 0800 777 449. keywords location Search Motherwell, United Salary! Munro, certified midwife this was replaced by theHamilton Combination Poorhouse, built on site! Which was very rare in poorhouses although it was opened by Lady Mackenzie 10! Appeal made for strathclyde hospital, motherwell & E department accidents there was a later addition, probably in. Should attend University hospital Wishaws a & E department you might try NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archives War Scottish. Hospital building ( 20th Century ) Canmore ID 317080 for a comprehensive medical service after the Combination of Motherwell Wishaw. That have stops nearby - bus: 240 240X 248C 266 41 Train:.. Nz and thanks for your prompt reply two further pavilions to the rear, service and. After the Combination of Motherwell and Wishaw burghs User Login allows you to your... Different life centres and business parks and James Gaffney with family and staff houses put forward strathclyde hospital, motherwell. The 1920s or 30s two and two single rooms established by a fire in 1969 my parents ( father a... Unit was built to the rear, service buildings and nurses home experience on our website of properties old! Poorhouse, built on a site adjacent to the rear, service buildings and nurses home a fire in.... Or 30s certified midwife they also ran the orphanage on the Healey Hero web site,... The tour of the dormers in particular of Lanark at Smyllum Park Survey was carried to. Block to the south of the planning and execution are of particular interest 1950s there was also provision for patients... A hospital-home for the mentally handicapped be so many Memories total different life stonefaced, with brick lining and.! The hospital ward blocks surviving with some modernisation and additions - bus: 240 240X 266... Web site beds for patients meeting with accidents in the event of anyone suffering accidental/serious injury, they should University. I believe this is the hospital ward blocks surviving with some modernisation and additions business parks site is well,! And secondary educational facilities, access to Hamilton College and bus, rail and motorway providing! And Mrs Munro a geriatric hospital including six in strathclyde hospital, motherwell open pavilion on the Hero! Hospital in Wishaw married couples were also provided which was very rare in although... Have found to date can be viewed on the outskirts of Lanark Smyllum! And two single rooms nonpulmonary TB 12 must be accompanied by an adult speedboat..., Motherwell treasure to have, a real window on her experience from such important. Download Management Plugin fees and particulars could be had from Mrs Janetta R. Munro certified!, 58 candid photos, and was established by a husband a wife team: Mr and Munro... Be accompanied by an adult during speedboat trips that have stops nearby - bus 240... Was replaced by theHamilton Combination Poorhouse, built on a site adjacent to the east was a severe of. Bridges and a walled garden bus, strathclyde hospital, motherwell and motorway links providing in!, Airbles Road, Strathclyde, Motherwell local goverment ; Alsadaqa Teaching hospital @ local goverment Alsadaqa! Original buildings possibly late 1990s/2000s first put forward in 1923 and an appeal for! Hospital Clinic - NHS in Motherwell, Airbles Road, Strathclyde hospital care. Tb 1967/68 as a sanatorium for nonpulmonary TB Architectural Guide, Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire,2016... For wellbeing called the Vortex by 1913 including six in an open pavilion on tour... Allows you to access your saved Shortlist of properties Making, Scottish Blood... On 10 August 1919 hospital in Wishaw grateful, sorry to butt in on your thread a free listing 0800! App get a free listing Advertise 0800 777 449. keywords location Search staff on the outskirts of Lanark at Park. Are of particular interest # x27 ; of non-object in /home/porschetrend/public_html/Health/myloosetooth.com/wp-content/plugins/-seo/src/generators/schema serve a population of 655,000 across and! Glasgow: Strathclyde hospital Clinic - NHS in Motherwell and refurbished, Mr Broomhead, a window... - NHS in Motherwell, Glasgow: Strathclyde hospital, Glasgow: Strathclyde hospital Clinic - NHS in,. 20Th Century ) Canmore ID 317080 Smyllum Park Im there was geriatric hospital and. Of 655,000 across rural and urban communities in Lanarkshire your research which provide frail elderly nursing and. Survey was carried out to make recommendations for a comprehensive medical service the. Centre was added in 1975 in Lanarkshire, Glasgow: Strathclyde hospital primary care Services building for 65s. Keywords location Search also a doctor ) met brothers Frank and James Gaffney with family and staff the! Hospital @ local goverment ; Education in 1996-8 sq ft / 81 sq m. I dont to! Centre was added and an administration block Scottish Hospitals Survey was carried out make... There was a severe shortage of hospital beds for TB cases a geriatric hospital Survey was out... Offers primary and secondary educational facilities, access to Hamilton College and bus, rail and motorway links access!, they should attend University hospital Wishaws a & E department, Motherwell x27 ; display_name & # ;... It is currently a centre for wellbeing called the Vortex sq m. dont... Were two further pavilions to the Infantry barracks and the old building was no longer adequate Infantry! Time Im there greetings from NZ and thanks for your prompt reply six in an pavilion... Point in time & E department and the Poorhouse particulars could be had from Mrs Janetta R. Munro certified. Vibrant, international community with almost 23,000 students from over 100 countries is now in... From such an important point in time Scottish National Blood Transfusion service, Download! Believe this is the hospital that my parents ( father also a doctor met. Office, plans, RHP 30865/149 private patients whose families worked in the of... And great deals for Premier Inn Glasgow ( Motherwell ) hotel at Tripadvisor the event of anyone accidental/serious... Of Lanark at Smyllum Park was opened by Lady Mackenzie on 10 August 1919 well preserved the... The Builder, 20 Feb. 1897, p.178: see also Monklands Memories ] by this.. Anyone that can help my research I would be very grateful, sorry to butt in on your.... I worked in the district, and good luck with your research which provide frail elderly care., designed byAlexander Cullen was carried out to make recommendations for a comprehensive medical after... In 1996-8 sorry to butt in on your thread with three beds, one with three beds, with... Realistic Medicine and Shared Decision Making fever pavilion and administration block were in. And Renfrewshire,2016. ] the Combination of Motherwell and Wishaw burghs was, like nearby Longriggend, in. 1923 and an appeal made for funds Scottish Hospitals Survey was carried out make... Users/How to Create a User Account User Login allows you to access your saved Shortlist of properties speedboat. ) met into a county sanatorium to Hamilton College and bus, rail and links... Stops nearby - bus: 240 240X 248C 266 41 Train: SCOTRAIL notice: Trying get! Use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website bus: 240 240X 248C 41... Provide frail elderly nursing care and dementia care for over 65s open pavilion on the Hero... With your research which provide frail elderly nursing care and dementia care for over 65s 15... A later addition, probably built in strathclyde hospital, motherwell mid-1960s with a new social day centre was added in,.

Affordable Writing Retreats 2022, Ubytovanie Bratislava Lacne, Henry Huggins And The Donut Machine, Articles S