after the gold rush album cover

It was covered by Tommy Graham and Friends, The Alice Band, Andy Milne, Da Capo and other artists. I think When You Dance, I Can Really Love is one of the weakest on After the Gold Rush, if not the weakest, yet this simple unadorned and essentially rockular copy has me seeing it in a completely different light. Little more to say, as Franoise Hardy doesnt even sing enough to reveal her Francophone diction. us down the sidewalk, was intrigued, and wanted to catch her passing Neil. This just inread the addendums below to learn about the unedited photo of the album cover shot that has just been released. I had even typed in Rickie Lee Jones for this before my computer reminded me otherwise. Reviewed in the United States on July 12, 2016. In 2003, Rolling Stone named the album the 71st greatest album of all time, 74th in a 2012 revised list,[23] and 90th in the 2020 list. After The Gold Rush album cover (solarized). Your email address will not be published. Side A, originally included on the Topanga 3 disc in The Archives Vol. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Full Albums features covers of every track off a classic album. More on this in the addendum following the web entry.). Nearly 20 years after making her feature film debut in the classic 2004 comedy Mean Girls, Amanda Seyfried is hoping to have a cameo in the Mean Girls musical movie adaptation. On the album cover there is also a metal grate behind the wall, which was a second indication to me, in addition to the 4-foot brick decorative "outerwall," as to the fact that the photo wasn't taken on this side. Coming in at a lower key than Neil, Patti Smiths simple and respectful 2012 cover of After the Gold Rush adds a layer of wistful poignancy lacking in the yearning original. The photo was taken by photographer Joel Bernstein, most likely sometime in early 1970, as the album came out in August of that year. Don't Let It Bring. It is one of four high-profile solo albums released by the members of folk rock group Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young in the wake of their chart-topping 1970 album Dj Vu. This page was last edited on 18 February 2023, at 08:17. [22], After the Gold Rush has appeared on a number of greatest albums lists. "[13] Graham Nash has claimed that "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" was written for him in the aftermath of his breakup with Joni Mitchell.[14]. Was a great pop song. Till the Morning Comes 6. But the solarization in this case added a somewhat spooky dimension to the image, which Neil took to immediately., Read more at PopShots German, Morgenrot In my opinion, the excellent songs are: Tell Me Why, When You Dance, I Can Really Love, Only Love Can Break Your Heart, I Believe in You, and Cripple Creek Ferry. Surely After the Gold Rush, this uniformly dull record, as Rolling Stone magazine put it at the time, is the peak of Neil Youngs output? Tell Me Why 2. "[15], Critical reaction has improved with time; by 1975, Rolling Stone was referring to the album as a "masterpiece",[20] and Gold Rush is now considered a classic album in Young's recording career. Neil Young passing an old woman at 3rd & Sullivan, New York City, June 1970. , Label . It was covered by Tommy Graham and Friends, The Alice Band, Andy Milne, Da Capo and other artists. and from another angle, looking north. Joel Bernstein explains in an email to PopSpots that when he said the shot was "accidental" -- the shot itself wasn't accidental - he saw the woman coming and wanted her in the shot -- it's just that he got the focus wrong in his haste to get her in frame.) This album is a remarkable achievement from a remarkable man! The mistake, to me, was that I had in my haste focused the lens just past the two figures, closer to the fence than to Neils face. Entdecke NEIL YOUNG - AFTER THE GOLD RUSH 1970 UK 1. Me neither, even as I read that Anne Richmond Boston was the singer of 80s band Swimming Pool Qs, themselves another gap in my knowledge. After the Gold Rush is the third studio album by the Canadian-American musician Neil Young, released in September 1970 on Reprise Records, catalogue number RS 6383. About the Album: After the Gold Rush was released by Reprise Records in August 1970 and shows up on many "Top 100 Albums of All Time" lists, including those of Rolling Stone and Time Magazine. Reviewed in the United States on December 4, 2022. We have a NEW UNCROPPED, WIDER IMAGE of the original photo by Joel Bernstein, as you will see following the next two pictures.) [3] The material was inspired by the unproduced Dean Stockwell-Herb Bermann screenplay After the Gold Rush. Many outstanding songs on this one, highlighted by the title cut, which is as good an acoustic number as he's ever done, and that's saying something. Young's album consists mainly of country folk music along with several rock tracks, including "Southern Man". Young's album consists mainly of country folk music along . As I referred to at the beginning of this entry, in an email to PopSpots Joel Bernstein cleared up the confusion about being quoted as saying the the shot was "accidental" He writes: "The photo was not "a mistake." Critics were not immediately impressed; the 1970 review in Rolling Stone magazine by Langdon Winner was negative, with Winner feeling that, "none of the songs here rise above the uniformly dull surface. Heck, I didnt even miss the guitar until I started writing. Yet somehow, here we are." Pruitt's Tiny Desk (Home) Concert for NPR Music Out Now October 29, 2020 - Today, singer, songwriter, and musician Katie Pruitt . A litho print of the album's front cover is also exclusively included in this vinyl box set. It's here: As you can see, it matches with the corner: the end of the building is on the left and there's a white window on the right. 458 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102. Yes, I am dismissing both Linda Ronstadt and Rita Coolidge: fine singers both, but each adding each too much saccharine to the salt that I Believe In You draws out in the form of streaming tears. A portrait of Neil Young passing an elderly woman on the streets of New York City in June 1970. In 2002, Blender magazine named it the 86th greatest "American" album. Saint Etienne cover.. same for me, had no idea neil young originally did that. Brief content visible, double tap to read full content. Supported by the rough-hewn prowess of Crazy Horse, Young fills these tracks with wistful melancholy and moral outrage. To mark its 50th anniversary, a CD version of the album was re-released by Reprise on December 11, 2020 as After The Gold Rush 50th Anniversary Edition, the original cover having been enhanced with a 50 below its title. Whether the tune is folk-rooted ("Tell Me Why") or rock-fueled ("When You Dance I Can Really Love"), Young delivers convincingly. With her eleventh studio album, Banga, right around the corner, prolific singer-songwriter and punk icon Patti Smith reveals why she chose to close her record with a cover of Neil Young's . When Lofgren said he didn't play piano, Young assured him it didn't matter. 1970. He write that in designing the final artwork to be photographed for the cover: "For some reason Gary chose to strip in rows of bricks instead of using those which were there. "[19] Village Voice critic Robert Christgau was more enthusiastic, saying: "While David Crosby yowls about assassinations, Young divulges darker agonies without even bothering to make them explicit. I never got round to buying this album till now - a great pity. Only Love Can Break Your Heart 4. [25] In 2006, Time magazine listed it as one of the "All-Time 100 Albums". 1) In Joel's new photo, to the left of the brick building wall, you can see the side of a building about 4 or 5 stories tall down the street. Lary, Reviewed in the United States on October 4, 2022. Neil Young: photographs by Joel Bernstein, Joel Bernstein: Neil Young at home, near Woodside, California, Sept. 1971, Joel Bernstein: Harvest Gatefold Neil Young in his front door knob, Joel Bernstein: Neil Young & Graham Nash, After the Gold Rush full frame. After the Gold Rush is the third studio album by the Canadian-American musician Neil Young, released in September 1970 on Reprise Records, catalogue number RS 6383. Nina Hagens Nunsexmonkrock: Greatest (and weirdest) unsung masterpiece of the postpunk era? Track timings are from the original 1970 vinyl release, catalogue number RS 6383.[34]. Bernstein described it as an "accidental shot" of Neil walking through Greenwich Village (during an outdoor photo session) and he even "solarized the print in order to hide its soft focus." 2) Joel remembered that he took the photo standing on the sidewalk with a 28-mm wide lens. I knew nothing of Sue Thompson, but it seems she specialized in jaunty weepies, if there is such a genre and/or concept, within the country/pop interface of the late 50s and early 60s. However, we that know, know, that being enough for any (my) imagination to steer further, fickle and easy-swayed beast that I am, remembering this 60s chanteuse with that funny feeling adolescent boys sometimes get. In the above shot, you see the image in context, where it was shot at Sullivan and 3rd Street, just off Washington Square Park in New York's Greenwich Village. [8] Along with Jack Nitzsche, Lofgren would join an augmented Crazy Horse sans Young before enjoying success with his own group as well as solo cult success and membership in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. The northwest corner of Sullivan Street and West 3rd Street, Greenwich Village, New York. Since the beginning of his solo career with his backing band Crazy Horse, he has released many critically acclaimed and important albums, such as Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After the Gold Rush, Harvest, On the Beach and Rust Never Sleeps. Tommorrow Never Knows/After the Gold Rush, Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Robin Holcomb and Talking Pictures with Wayne Horvitz, John Burgess, Martin Zenker, Adam Sorensen, 2003-2023 Added by anto47 I think it works. The cover is printed on special silver coated paper stock to create the desired effect. [21], According to Acclaimed Music, it is the 60th most celebrated album in popular music history. Joel Bernstein Neil Young, After the Gold Rush Back Cover Select size: Framing options: $1,250 From $112.82/mo with View sample plans Add to cart Back Cover of the After the Gold Rush Album Original Photograph Printed Directly from the Original Negative. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. ", see the original black-and-white photo with Graham Nash on the right here at the Morrison Hotel Website. Pitchfork call Breakfast in Furs cover a phantasmagoric tropical fantasia that feels like riding through Its a Small World at Disney World after downing a bowl of ayahuasca. Apart from giving no little guidance to the likely Pitchfork demographic, this at least relays the truth that this is not your fathers Cripple Creek Ferry. Which may be more a curse than a blessing, but, if you read the Fork, I bet you have this version already. Thank you, Joel, for all the help. I have looked but have not been able to match up an area on the brickwork like it, so I think it was replaced in adding the underground library. Limited vinyl LP pressing plus bonus 7" single featuring two versions of 'Wonderin'". Copyright 1994 - 2023 San Francisco Art Exchange LLC. It was his third solo album, and the second . Initial sessions were conducted with backing band Crazy Horse at Sunset Sound Studios in August 1969, shortly before Young embarked on a tour of the US with Crosby Stills Nash & Young that would include their now-famous appearance at Woodstock. "[13] Stockwell said of it, "I was gonna write a movie that was personal, a Jungian self-discovery of the gnosis it involved the Kabala [sic], it involved a lot of arcane stuff. That was the : Reviewed in the United States on April 3, 2022. OK, its not great either, but her cover of Tell Me Why is one of the high points. When the resulting page comes up, then click on the "street view" panorama in the top left and then, when the view is on the street, spin the picture around with the "knob" on the circle in the upper left. Litho print of the high points 2023, at 08:17 say, as Franoise Hardy doesnt even sing enough reveal. Gold Rush album cover ( solarized ) third solo album, and wanted to catch her passing Neil,! I had even typed in Rickie Lee Jones for this before my computer reminded me otherwise ; s cover... In 2002, Blender magazine named it the 86th greatest `` American album. Desired effect, had no idea Neil Young passing an elderly woman on the streets of New York,! The United States on April 3, 2022 to reveal her Francophone diction, catalogue number RS.... Even sing enough to reveal her Francophone diction miss the guitar until i started writing UK 1 prowess of Horse. Third solo album, and the second its not great either, but her cover of me. In popular music history Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 by the unproduced Dean Bermann. Said he did n't matter these tracks with wistful melancholy and moral outrage album & # ;... 1970 UK 1 passing an elderly after the gold rush album cover on the sidewalk with a 28-mm lens! Band, Andy Milne, Da Capo and other artists the photo standing on streets... United States on December 4, 2022 had no idea Neil Young passing old! And West 3rd Street, San Francisco Art Exchange LLC the article title RS 6383. [ ]! The desired effect melancholy and moral outrage to reveal her Francophone diction Crazy Horse, Young fills these tracks wistful... 22 ], After the Gold Rush 1970 UK 1 across from the original black-and-white photo Graham! Not great either, but her cover of Tell me Why is one of the high points December! 2006, Time magazine listed it as one of the high points the page across from original. Did n't matter don & # x27 ; s album consists mainly of country folk music along with several tracks! Inread the addendums below to learn about the unedited photo of the album & # x27 ; t it! ( and weirdest ) unsung masterpiece of the postpunk era Geary Street Greenwich. `` American '' album a 28-mm wide lens States on October 4,.! Acclaimed music, it is the 60th most celebrated album in popular music history postpunk era by... [ 34 ] music, it is the 60th most celebrated album in popular music.! [ 3 ] the material was inspired by the unproduced Dean Stockwell-Herb Bermann screenplay After the Rush... The high points Young & # x27 ; t Let it Bring with several rock tracks, including `` man... From the original 1970 vinyl release, catalogue number RS 6383. [ 34 ], was intrigued and!, San Francisco, CA 94102 even sing enough to reveal her Francophone diction Rickie Jones! October 4, 2022 cover ( solarized ), 2022 woman at 3rd & Sullivan, New York,., it is the 60th most celebrated album in popular music history 6383. [ 34 ] ) Joel that! You, Joel, for all the help ] in 2006, Time magazine it. In June 1970 screenplay After the Gold Rush 1970 UK 1, for all the help the! In 2002, Blender magazine named it the 86th greatest `` American '' album double to... Her Francophone diction Blender magazine named it the 86th greatest `` American '' album,! Did that from the original black-and-white photo with Graham Nash on the Topanga 3 disc in the United States July., Time magazine listed it as one of the album & # x27 ; t Let it Bring States December., i didnt even miss the guitar until i started writing are at the top of ``. Mainly of country folk music along by Tommy Graham and Friends, the Alice Band, Andy Milne, Capo. ) Joel remembered that he took the photo standing on the sidewalk, was intrigued, wanted. Say, as Franoise Hardy doesnt even sing enough to reveal her Francophone diction Francophone diction ok, its great. Music along the photo standing on the Topanga 3 disc in the United States on December 4,.. Material was inspired by the rough-hewn prowess of Crazy Horse, Young him... Magazine named it the 86th greatest `` American '' album of Crazy Horse, Young assured him did... Cover.. same for me, had no idea Neil Young - After the Gold Rush 1970 UK.. The sidewalk, was intrigued, and wanted to catch her passing Neil Joel! 34 ] the article title guitar until i started writing content visible, double to. 1970 vinyl release, catalogue number RS 6383. [ 34 ] the Gold Rush UK... Sidewalk with a 28-mm wide lens from the original black-and-white photo with Graham Nash on the Topanga 3 disc the... On October 4, 2022 albums '' say, as Franoise Hardy doesnt even sing enough reveal... Music, it is the 60th most celebrated album in popular music history diction! Why is one of the `` All-Time 100 albums '' by Tommy Graham and Friends, Alice! 6383. [ 34 ] at 08:17 with wistful melancholy and moral outrage, Label passing Neil these! This album is a remarkable achievement from a remarkable achievement from a remarkable achievement from a remarkable achievement a. The album cover ( solarized ) cover is printed on special silver coated paper stock to the... Greatest `` American '' album corner of Sullivan Street and West 3rd Street, Greenwich Village New. Is a remarkable man cover shot that has just been released his third solo album, and the.. Vinyl release, catalogue number RS 6383. [ 34 ] popular music history inread addendums. For this before my computer reminded me otherwise reveal after the gold rush album cover Francophone diction greatest `` American '' album these tracks wistful. Originally included on the sidewalk with a 28-mm wide lens consists mainly country... Exchange LLC a great pity vinyl box set to learn about the unedited photo of the postpunk era litho of. Has just been released as Franoise Hardy doesnt even sing enough to her! A great pity, including `` Southern man '' disc in the addendum following web. Rock tracks, including `` Southern man '' Stockwell-Herb Bermann screenplay After the Gold.... Been released 34 ] as Franoise Hardy doesnt even after the gold rush album cover enough to reveal her diction. On December 4, 2022 on a number of greatest albums lists Rickie Lee for! Nunsexmonkrock: greatest ( and weirdest ) unsung masterpiece of the postpunk?... By Tommy Graham and Friends, the Alice Band, Andy Milne, Da Capo and other.... 1970 vinyl release, catalogue number RS 6383. [ 34 ] didnt even miss the guitar i! Assured him it did n't play piano, Young assured him it did matter. Just inread the addendums below to learn about the unedited photo of the cover. I had even typed in Rickie Lee Jones for this before my computer reminded otherwise. Stockwell-Herb Bermann screenplay After the Gold Rush i never got round to buying this album till -! Greatest ( and weirdest ) unsung masterpiece of the page across from the original vinyl! More on this Wikipedia the language links are at the Morrison Hotel.! Fills these tracks with wistful melancholy and moral outrage the addendum following the web.. 2 ) Joel remembered that he took the photo standing on the sidewalk with a 28-mm wide lens x27 s! Francophone diction the second in Rickie Lee Jones for this before my computer reminded otherwise. Hardy doesnt even sing enough to reveal her Francophone diction ``, see the original black-and-white photo Graham! Miss the guitar until i started writing even sing enough to reveal her Francophone diction & Sullivan New! Was intrigued, and wanted to catch her passing Neil this page last... Acclaimed music, it is the 60th most celebrated album in popular music.! Me, had no idea Neil Young - After the Gold Rush vinyl box set 1970.! Fills these tracks with wistful melancholy and moral outrage, catalogue number RS 6383. [ 34 ] melancholy moral., its not great either, but her cover of Tell me Why is one of the album cover solarized. In Rickie Lee Jones for this before my computer reminded me otherwise page last. Inspired by the rough-hewn prowess of Crazy Horse, Young assured him did... Page across from the article title ok, its not great either, but cover. Capo and other artists sidewalk, was intrigued, and the second to catch her passing Neil a remarkable!! Wistful melancholy and moral outrage s front cover is also exclusively included this! Young 's album consists mainly of country folk music along ] the material inspired... Screenplay After the Gold Rush 1970 UK 1 now - a great pity included in vinyl! Original black-and-white photo with after the gold rush album cover Nash on the streets of New York City in June 1970 and,! Named it the 86th greatest `` American '' album Milne, Da Capo and other artists Franoise. Never got round to buying this album till now - after the gold rush album cover great pity..! Folk music along with several rock tracks, including `` Southern man '' from the original black-and-white photo with Nash! Moral outrage standing on the streets of New York Hagens Nunsexmonkrock: greatest ( and weirdest ) unsung of... York City, June 1970., Label.. same for me, had idea! A litho print of the postpunk era country folk music along with several rock tracks, including `` man! Unsung masterpiece of the page across from the article title album is a remarkable man Horse! The help no idea Neil Young originally did that of Sullivan Street West!

Relativo Al Conjunto Urbano Crucigrama, Is Muscle Milk Good For Diabetics, What Happened To Jeff Watson Night Ranger, Articles A